View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s0da
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Linux Drivers for Canon Printers [from Canon Japan] Reply with quote

Hello,

I am using a Canon S600 printer for already two years, but don't use it on my linux box because there's no high quality linux driver for it. Until recently while browsing the web I came accross a forum wherein there's someone using the drivers from Canon Japan. But, unfortunately that user did not post a detailed steps in installing the drivers. I've tried translating the howto from Canon using Babel Fish from altavista but still i can't understand the guide. I'm a complete noob in linux so i ran out of ideas and gave up installing the Printer in my linux box.

AFAIK, the drivers from Canon Japan includes "Status Monitor," "Maintenance Tools, (ie., Cleaning, Nozzle Check, Head Alignment)," and other controls similar to its Windows Driver. Drivers from linuxprinting.org lacks some features so I'm not using it.

Anyone with an idea on how to install the printer using the drivers from Canon Japan? Please post them here. (it may serve as a guide to other user with a Canon printer). Thanks in advance.

I hope there will be an ebuild for Canon Linux Drivers.

===========================
link >>> (in english for your convenience) ^_^
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&url=http%3a%2f%2fcweb.canon.jp%2fdrv-upd%2fbj%2fother.html#english
===========================

*sorry if my english is not good, i am not a native english speaker. also, I am very new to linux so forgive me if some of my terms aren't right. Good Day.
Lore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Turboprint? Im using a Canon S530 with this driver. They also provide a driver for your printer.
http://www.turboprint.de/english.html
s0da
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turboprint? I have encoutered that on forums, but everyone's saying it's a commercial software. There are features which can't be used unless u pay them for a license. IMHO, Turboprint don't have "Status Monitor" for my Canon printer, and some other tools which are only provided by the drivers from Canon.

Anyways, Turboprint is much better than the drivers from linuxprinting.org.

Thanks for the advice.
MrPixel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how the translation turned out ... but I can read Japanese.

Since you're posting here, I'll assume you're using Gentoo ... so download the source files (the three files at bottom) - the first three are documentation, and the middle files are RPMs for RedHat or TurboLinux (sorta like the Japanese version of RedHat), and probably won't work with Gentoo. They come in gzipped tarballs - that is, they are compressed. You'll need to unpack them:
Code:
tar -xvzf <filename>

This will create a directory with the same name as the tarball (without the .tar.gz on the end) in whatever directory you downloaded them. This directory will contain all the files in the tarball ... uncompressed. Enter the directory, and as root do the following. If you get lost, follow the instructions in the text file named INSTALL .
Code:
cd /path/to/tarball/  # replace /path/to/tarball with the path to the directory you downloaded it to
./autogen.sh
make
make install

You will need to do this for each one of the files you downloaded. Assuming all goes well, you should be all set.

Note however, that I tried the above for my S300, without success: either the autogen.sh script didn't work complete successfully, or make generated errors. I did get the printer working with the CUPS guide on the Gentoo User Docs page. The CUPS interface is quite different than the Canon Windows programs, but has most of the same funcionality.
s0da
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting... I downloaded four files from Canon Japan, but I did not try to install it. Yeah, i got the right ones, the tar.gz files. These are the files: bjfilter-1.3-1.tar.gz, instruction-1.3-1.tar.gz, printui-1.3-1.tar.gz, stsmon-1.3-1.tar.gz.

I wish someone would translate the documentation in instruction-1.3-1.tar.gz, so I can play with the drivers... ^_^

Good day and keep posting... :lol:
roo_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turboprint _is_ commericial, but its also well worth it.

I bought a copy after messing around for months with linuxprinting and canon drivers from japan. I have a Canon i550 which is a high spec printer, and was getting nothing from it.

Buying Turboprint took me 10minutes and I havent looked back..

I dont work for Turboprint in case you're wondering! I just thought i would let you know that the 25 Euros is a VERY reasonable price for what is a remarkable piece of software.

HTH :)
MrPixel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s0da wrote:
I wish someone would translate the documentation in instruction-1.3-1.tar.gz, so I can play with the drivers... ^_^

I took a look at that document ... it is basically installation instructions for RedHat and TurboLinux, with instructions on how to set up and use bjfilter for GUI and CLI ...
I don't know if CUPS/foomatic supports the S600 (probably does, though), compared to the instructions from Canon, the Gentoo Printing guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml) is not only in English, but easier: especially since the instructions from Canon were not made for Gentoo ... probably your best best if you don't want to fork over 25 Euros.
ennservogt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: They work... Reply with quote

I own a Canon i865. The filter driver from Canon was very easy to install. you just have to download the approriate files from the japanese FTP server and extract the contents of the rpm archives to the right places.

There are allready several guides around the web which describe the installation process better.
tuxfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to install this driver for my canon s600, but I am not able to get this running. There are no errors when I run ./autogen.sh, make, make install.
But if I try to run the bjs600ps script, it say invalid printer model.
So what get's wrong?

Additional I found a port on FreeBSD, but I don't able to understand that.

Has anyone sucessfully installed this driver?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: