maximum stability
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onesandzeros
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: maximum stability Reply with quote

Hello all,

I had a some minor stability problems with KDE 3.2.1 (compiled with [-O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe] for both c and cpp), so last night when I emerged 3.2.2, I bumped it down to O2. So far so good, although the GL screensavers are still b0rked (looks like stuff from the ut2004 demo may have overwritten something else, it's wild...).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had instability with any given app, and if messing with the compiler flags, especially the optimization flag, has helped.

XMMS has been troublesome for me on my current system, so I went into make.conf and commented out the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS lines altogether. Although I still had plenty of stuff in my use variable, the actual compliation of it couldn't have been more conservative. Again, so far so good.

Just thought I'd post this. Debian packages are still compiled for i386, right? I assume the other parameters are equally conservative. Mandrake has compiled for i586 for quite some time iirc, and SuSE has switched over. Any know anything else about their packages off hand?
Passe-Poil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using -O3 is a bad idea imho ... too aggressive plus it can yield slower / bloated code in some circumstances.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: