View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annihilate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Unstable KDE? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have recently just installed Gentoo and XFree and KDE. Not much else yet. When I get into KDE desktop, it seems to just freeze quite often. Rightclicking on the time and selecting adjust time/date made it freeze up yesterday. And so I have to turn off laptop by the power switch. Should I reinstall the kernel or KDE or something?

Also, I change the resolution in KDE control panel, but everytime I load it up again, it's gone back to a bigger resolution. Is there a fie I need to change to make 1024x768 the default resolution?

Thanks
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Unstable KDE? Reply with quote

annihilate wrote:
Hello,

I have recently just installed Gentoo and XFree and KDE. Not much else yet. When I get into KDE desktop, it seems to just freeze quite often. Rightclicking on the time and selecting adjust time/date made it freeze up yesterday. And so I have to turn off laptop by the power switch. Should I reinstall the kernel or KDE or something?

Also, I change the resolution in KDE control panel, but everytime I load it up again, it's gone back to a bigger resolution. Is there a fie I need to change to make 1024x768 the default resolution?

Thanks

The resolution thing sounds like it's something to do with your xfree86.conf or whatever it's called, which should be in /etc/X11R6/. Check that file and find the section made up of lists of resolutions. It could be that it's overriding what you've told it each time you boot.

The power off issues are probably connected to ACPI or APM in the kernel. Search the forums for that.

As for the crashing... Are you using aggressive CFLAGS at all?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: