I hit a snag installing Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
migrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: I hit a snag installing Gentoo Reply with quote

I had spent about 4 hours installing the gentoo linus on the unused 40 gigs of my windows drive and had printed all the installtion hand book, but my printer did not print the page for section 7 page 7 which has you doing modules-update command. I tried to run links to view the page but for some reason the path to it seems to have been lost, and I couldn't find a way to read the page electronically. I have given up in despair, I will try again... But one thing that is really confusing is that in the Gentoo Hadbook Effort it keeps jumping back and forth from stage1 to stage 3 network/non-network genkernel/non-genkernel.
That is why I was going to ask if there is any documentation that gives help on doing each type of install so that the steps from doing one type don't get in the way of the other. If there were a doc on installing just stage1 network non-genkernel... etc it would be slightly less confusing. However I think that the documentation here is still a far cry better then the tech-docs I have read elsewhere, they (the others) are very hard to follow.
Also the instructions seemed to be referring to a 2.4.25 kernel yet the kernel on the livecd was 2.6.(5???) and it got a little confusing during the kernel compile/copying files to the /boot partition with 2.4.25 filenames while it was a 2.6 kernel.

migrax
Gnu Kemist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I hit a snag installing Gentoo Reply with quote

migrax wrote:
Also the instructions seemed to be referring to a 2.4.25 kernel yet the kernel on the livecd was 2.6.(5???) and it got a little confusing during the kernel compile/copying files to the /boot partition with 2.4.25 filenames while it was a 2.6 kernel.

I'm not sure if there's such a document around but... all you have to do is use logic to make the appropriate changes as needed... For instance, the section that deals with writing up the /etc/fstab file, the documentation has different partitions from what you probably have on your box... so you have to pay attention so that you make the appropriate changes. You'll see that if you really take the time to read the documentation through it is a great manual!

Just my 2 cents!

Gnu Kemist

Gnu Kemist

VB/Oracle Developer by day
Linux Programmer by night

Linux Registered User 286200
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm fairly sure if you chroot into /mnt/gentoo you lose the tools on the cd.

my advise is that the first thing you do when you boot to install gentoo is:
passwd

then set a password you know

then press ctrl+alt+f2 and login as root with the password you just typed.
same for ctrl+alt+f3 to f6. you can switch between these. this will allow you to put info up on console 3, then switch over and type the commands in console 1.
migrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH!

I remember that too, and I didn't think of it, if I have a second console open will it allow me access to the tools on the cdrom again???

migrax
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

migrax wrote:
I remember that too, and I didn't think of it, if I have a second console open will it allow me access to the tools on the cdrom again???
Yup, another option is to exit and later reenter the chroot environment.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
migrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive me for beating this to death, since I am back in windows now I won't have to completely reiinstall gentoo? I can just go back in, chroot to my install and continue? What about the environment variables etc???

migrax
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enviroment variables??

What are you talking about??

Yes you can boot from a livecd, mount your partitions and go on where you left off...
migrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean resolv.conf and other stuff like that... maybe I am overcomplicating things.. thanks.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

migrax wrote:
forgive me for beating this to death, since I am back in windows now I won't have to completely reiinstall gentoo? I can just go back in, chroot to my install and continue? What about the environment variables etc???

Yup, just do the chroot routine again, including env-update.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
migrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love linux

migrax
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: