HOWTO How I got ATI Radeon to work in Kernel 2.6.6-rc1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshua_neil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: HOWTO How I got ATI Radeon to work in Kernel 2.6.6-rc1 Reply with quote

After compiling the kernel more times than I can remember and following instructions that were usually completely different, this is what I got to work properly.

Kernel

First type the following to check which chipset your AGP is:
Code:
lspci -v | grep AGP

make a note of what the chipset is for later. If lspci is not there then do the following and try again:
Code:
emerge pciutils

Now onto the kernel business.
Make sure /usr/src/linux points to the right kernel by typing:
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux

Then go to the /usr/src/linux directory and type make menuconfig (or make xconfig etc)
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

A menu shows up with all kinds of options. Go to "Device Drivers" and hit enter. Then go to "Character devices" and press enter. Then go to "/dev/agpgart (AGP Support)" and compile as a module by pressing "M". Then go down till you find the right chipset we found earlier for your motherboard. Mine was "SiS Chipset Support". Select to add it to the kernel by pressing "Y". Go to "Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)" and press "Y" to add it to the kernel. Then go down to "ATI Radeon" and press "M" to compile it as a module. Now press "ESC" and go down to "Graphics support" and press enter. Scroll down and make sure that none of the ATI drivers are selected to be compiled. Now press "ESC" till it asks to save the kernel configuration. Select "yes" and hit enter. Now type in the following command:
Code:
make && make modules_install

This could take awhile, but not too long. Once that is finished type in these commands to copy the kernel over to boot (those who wish to change the name of the image may do so):
Code:
mount /boot
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.6-rc1

Now edit your grub configuration by typing:
Code:
nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

and adding the following below the splash code (adjust the partitions for your own installation):
Code:
title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.6-rc1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.6-rc1 root=/dev/hda3

Now we need to add our modules to be automatically loaded at startup. Type:
Code:
nano -w /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Add the following to the file and save (change sis-agp to whatever the name of the module you selected for your chipset):
Code:
agpgart
sis-agp
radeon

Now do:
Code:
modules-update

XFree

Now for the XFree Part. Type:
Code:
nano -w /etc/X11/XF86Config

Add the following if it is not already there:
Code:
Section "dri"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

Also uncomment the following lines by removing the # in front of them if its there:
Code:
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"

Go down through the file and make sure this or something similar is present
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "9000"
    VendorName  "ATI"
    BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9000"
    Driver      "radeon"

Now save and exit nano.

Now restart and make sure everything works correctly. Mkae sure you select the right kernel in GRUB. If X doesn't automatically start, login and then type 'startx'. Now open a console and type:
Code:
glxinfo | grep direct

and make sure it says "yes" next to "direct rendering". if it does you can run the following command and see how well it is working:
Code:
glxgears

It will output how many frames per second glxgears is doing. You can close the window to exit, or type 'CTRL+C". If glxinfo or glxgears says something about libGL.so.1 follow these instructions:

Fix libGL.so.1

Type:
Code:
whereis libGL.so.1

if it says:
Code:
libGL.so: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so

then you could try to 'emerge xfree' again. (this could take a long time)
If it doesn't say that exactly, do the following:
Code:
ln -sf /usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so
ln -sf /usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

Now retry 'glxinfo' or 'glxgears'. If it works good, if not you may have to 'emerge xfree' again.

-Josh "Schmalls" Thompson

Yeah, Brain, but where would we get all that cheese?
Sqeaky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite interesting, what radeon card do you have. I have not heard of anyone with a 9xxx series getting it to work with 2.6.6. Also all the setup information for the newer radeon cards says drm must be off. Did xfree finally get their Their drivers to support the newer radeons?
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions, I also want to know.
Liviu

MACPRO machine...
BlindSpy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 2.6.6 with my 9600 Pro since they released the first RC and its worked fine. I dont use DRM in the kernel cause the ATI drivers have DRM built in. In Device Drivers -> Character Devices ->
i have /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) compiled into the kernel <*> and same with my chipset stuff. For Graphics support i have the Vesa for the framebuffer support.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone gets confused: these instructions are for cards that are compatible with the Xfree "radeon" driver - they will NOT work for the binary ATI drivers, which you need to use if your card is > R9200 (some cards are supported by both, like the 9200 and 8500). The ATI driver needs the "Direct Rendering Manager" kernel option disabled, otherwise its driver module won't load, with the result that you don't get 3D acceleration.

Edit: Squeaky, the newer versions of the ATI driver are 2.6 compatible (3.2.8 and later should all work) - just emerge one of the versions in portage.
hanzotutu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ati-drivers-3.7.6-r1 doesn't compile with kernel 2.6.6 bug is reported here.
I am using DRI modular coming along with mm-sources-2.6.6 for my Radeon M9.
joshua_neil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Radeon 9000. Most of the 3d stuff I have tried seems to be working perfectly. I'm sure there is some more ways to tweak it. However, someone posted that this was using the XFree 'radeon' driver. How would I get it to use the kernel one? Since both have the name 'radeon'? I tried using the ATI Drivers but they just didn't seem to work. One more thing, how do you get XFree to do TV-Out correctly? Its not a linux problem because during bootup it shows on the TV, but once X is started, the TV goes crazy. I have tried following some things about it on the forums, but to no avail. Could it be the XFree 'radeon' driver?

Thanks for all of the replies,
-Joshua "Schmalls" Thompson

Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ati-drivers-3.7.6-r1 doesn't compile with kernel 2.6.6 bug is reported here.

They do, with a little extra patching. Check the bug report you linked to, the small patch at the end is all you need to get it working as long as you disable register arguments in your kernel. If you don't disable them, you also need another patch which you should find via one of Rage3D links there.

Quote:
I have a Radeon 9000. Most of the 3d stuff I have tried seems to be working perfectly. I'm sure there is some more ways to tweak it. However, someone posted that this was using the XFree 'radeon' driver. How would I get it to use the kernel one? Since both have the name 'radeon'?

I think that was me - I was referring to the same driver as you're currently using. I've just gotten into the habit of calling it that. With 2.4 kernels, the version of the driver in the kernel was outdated, so you had to emerge an extra package called xfree-drm to get the newer version, so that's maybe where I got it from. With 2.6 the driver in the kernel is up to date, so that's used instead. Sorry for causing more confusion :)
joshua_neil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With 2.4 kernels, the version of the driver in the kernel was outdated, so you had to emerge an extra package called xfree-drm to get the newer version, so that's maybe where I got it from.

Yeah, I was trying to follow guides that were only for the 2.4 kernels, and tried to emerge xfree-drm and it said to use the one in the kernel. So I did. Does anyone know if its a problem with the kernel's 'radeon' driver that makes TV-out not work correctly in X? If it is I'll try to get the 'fglrx' driver to work.

Thanks,
Josh "Schmalls" Thompson[/quote][/code]

Maheriano
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subscribed
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: