Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is gentoo store running on .net aspx technology?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shotgun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Why is gentoo store running on .net aspx technology? Reply with quote

Wondering why Gentoo is using www.cafepress.com, I like the site its clean and simple but why not setup an opensource store front like zencart running on PHP?
Just a thought.

Long Live Gentoo!
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo Store is shutting down, I believe, so it doesn't really matter.
shotgun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Just an interesting article Reply with quote

Here is an article Q&A: Fred Durham, CEO and Founder, CafePress.com http://www.15seconds.com/issue/040617.htm

"I see there is a lot of pro open-source merchandise. I take it there have been no complaints about your all-Microsoft implementation? :)

FD:
There have been a few, but not many. Our service is to support freedom of expression, to democratize commerce and let anyone sell stuff. We have expression from all sides of the aisle. We would consider open source software if it worked better for us, right now it just doesn't - we leverage the pre-made code in the framework. We've switched platforms 3 times in 5 years though, so if something stronger came out before long-worn, or long-horn, or what ever it's called sees daylight, then we have no religion. I think open source solutions make a lot of sense for some applications, just not ours at this time."

Shotgun
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:
The Gentoo Store is shutting down, I believe, so it doesn't really matter.

No, its now being run by the Gentoo Foundation, the old store shut down.
shotgun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seems all a bit strange Robbins transfers stuff over to foundation takes position at Microsoft the store is running on Microsoft technology. Don't want to bring all the stuff about the store but seems like a go Microsoft too me. I can see the headlines Gentoo store powered by Microsoft.

Shotgun
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably had a lot to do with what cafepress.com were using already - the decision was obviously to use a third-party to handle the store rather than do it themselves. If you're going to a third party, it doesn't really matter what they're using - the chances of it being Gentoo are pretty remote, and you'd get headlines for anything else - "Gentoo Store Running On Debian; Own Distro Not Good Enough!".

Anyway I haven't actually seen any headlines, and it's been there a while. Maybe nobody really cares...
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotgun wrote:
Just seems all a bit strange Robbins transfers stuff over to foundation takes position at Microsoft the store is running on Microsoft technology. Don't want to bring all the stuff about the store but seems like a go Microsoft too me. I can see the headlines Gentoo store powered by Microsoft.

Shotgun

Well, presuming you don't want to provide the funding & staff to run an independent store ourselves and don't have alternative vendors in mind I guess our only other option would be to not have a store at all.

Frankly I don't see why anyone should give a damn what some third party vendor is running on their servers
shotgun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gentoo store is great! more money generated the better May be one day the store will be able to survive and run on a gentoo box running osCommerce or Zencart. Powered by Gentoo. Thats about it, just don't like supporting MS when they really don't want linux to survive, but if it takes MS to generate a few bucks then we will have to live with that until funds and resources can be found to doit opensource.

Shotgun::::::::
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
shotgun wrote:

Shotgun

Well, presuming you don't want to provide the funding & staff to run an independent store ourselves and don't have alternative vendors in mind I guess our only other option would be to not have a store at all.

Frankly I don't see why anyone should give a damn what some third party vendor is running on their servers

avenj makes a great point here. Gentoo does not "run" the gentoo store. The Gentoo Foundation utilizes the service of a third party company to "run" it for them. cafepress is widely known and recognized as a quality, trustworthy company. What cafepress decides to use for it's infrastructure is purely up to them and has nothing to do with gentoo in any way.
Betaflye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the right tool for the right job, sometimes Microsoft technologies do make sense to deploy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: