Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Minimum Specs for Apache + PHP + MySQL Server?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lighty14
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Minimum Specs for Apache + PHP + MySQL Server? Reply with quote

Well, what do you think? I'm considering turning old family computer (P2 400, 128MB RAM) into a server for these, but I would want it to be fairly responsive... Do you think the computer can handle, say, 50+ page views a day without a lot of slow-down?
dvc5
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say bump the ram to at least 256mb or 512mb if you're going to run mysql. It chews up a sizable portion of memory.

Green Is Good
marting
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a P133 with 112mb RAM.

It is running several services (CUPS, Samba, ddclient, IRC, SSH, NFS, Apache2/PHP/MySQL).

It's not really fast, but it works ok for me (PHP-pages need about a second to be processed).
mindwarp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum Specs for Apache + PHP + MySQL Server? Reply with quote

lighty14 wrote:
Well, what do you think? I'm considering turning old family computer (P2 400, 128MB RAM) into a server for these, but I would want it to be fairly responsive... Do you think the computer can handle, say, 50+ page views a day without a lot of slow-down?

That setup will work great for 50 page views per day. Don't let anyone try and convince you that you need faster. Just make sure not to install X etc. (in the USE flags put -qt -gtk etc).
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running a LAMP server no problem on my Pentium 120 Mhz, 16 megs of ram. No problem whatsoever. I was using it as my private webserver for testing my php; never connected to the outside unless for breif periods if a friend needed a file quickly. It was responsive, and got plenty more than 50 page loads per day ([refresh] Damn, why isn't it working!!! [code edit][refresh] Damn, why isn't it working!!!! etc.) :lol:

However, I didn't do it with gentoo. I may have a lot of time on my hands but not quite enough to install gentoo on a computer that old; I used Debian (gasp :roll:), testing tree.

Have fun!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: