Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Backup to external disk - ghosting or copying?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
optilude
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Backup to external disk - ghosting or copying? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a 250Gb USB 2 disk. I've got a 25Gb Gentoo partition (+ swap) and a 25Gb Windows partition (which I may shrink to 10Gb at some point, since it's not used much), and a 25Gb "data" partition for documents and music. I want to have a solid backup solution that's not too intrusive. Currently, I burn backups to DVD-RAM, but it takes forever (slow burner) and as a result it doesn't get done as often as it should. My options are thus:

o Ghosting using something like G4U or Partimage - if anyone's got experience with this, I'd be very happy to hear about it. I have a few questions about how they work:

-> They require booting from CD, don't they? I have no floppy drive.
-> If I boot from CD, will I be able to access my USB2 disk?
-> If I could do the backup "live" that would increase the chance of doing it with reasonable frequency! Is this possible? Could I ghost my windows partition when running linux normally?
-> How automated are these tools?
-> How adverse are they to restoring to a different partition than the original one?

o Using tar to create a .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz. This could obviously be done "live", and may be easier

-> Is there a disadvange? Is there something that a ghosting tool "gets" that this method doesn't?
-> This would probably not work for my WinXP partition, would it? I think it would be quite nice to have a plain ghost image containing a "fresh" XP setup (basically just XP Pro + some drivers + MS Office + Tracktion and a bunch of VSTs for music production) and just ghost this back whenever XP decides to act funny.

I suppose I could use ghosting for the WinXP partition and tar for the Gentoo partition and the "data" partition. Unfortunately, I don't really have much time to experiment with different tools (which in any case may be risky), so I would appreciate any advice and experience people may have.

Cheers,
Martin
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup to external disk - ghosting or copying? Reply with quote

optilude wrote:
-> Is there a disadvange? Is there something that a ghosting tool "gets" that this method doesn't?

Nope, it'll catch everything, provided you don't forget to use the -p switch to preserve permissions. I'd recommend to select what you tar up (i.e. everything but /dev, /proc, /sys, /tmp, /usr/tmp, /var/tmp).
optilude wrote:
-> This would probably not work for my WinXP partition, would it?

Correct. Files as such would be there, but permissions and alternative NTFS data streams would have gone byebye.
optilude wrote:
I suppose I could use ghosting for the WinXP partition and tar for the Gentoo partition and the "data" partition.

That's the setup I'd use. BTW, 100 points for using a separate partition to store your actual data instead of using one big C: drive and then griping about having to manually pick up data scattered all over it :D

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
optilude
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup to external disk - ghosting or copying? Reply with quote

moocha wrote:

That's the setup I'd use. BTW, 100 points for using a separate partition to store your actual data instead of using one big C: drive and then griping about having to manually pick up data scattered all over it :D

:-)

What do you use for ghosting your Windows drive? Any experiences worth taking with me?

Martin
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience on that, sorry - I don't have any Windows installation at the moment (only have one when I need it for some project).

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
lbrtuk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to the linux side, surely you want to do incremental backups.

rsync would work great for this.
optilude
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbrtuk wrote:
When it comes to the linux side, surely you want to do incremental backups.

rsync would work great for this.

That's a point, actually... didn't think of that. I can use rsync for copying from one disk to another on the same machine, can I not?

However, can rsync compress the target? This would be quite useful for saving space, especially since a lot of files on my linux partition are either text or executable binaries, which typically compress well.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it can't...

optilude
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
Nope, it can't...

So we're down to speed vs. space. :-/
pathose
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

w/ a 250gig drive, space is an issue? I use rsync to do all of my backups. I have an external USB 80gig drive, one partition reiserfs for linux backups and the other fat32 for if/when i ever need to use it on a windows box (take it with me to work, backups for a friend, etc.) Works for me, never any issues. No compession, but i'm not that concerned about the space. Which is why I can't imagine why you would be with a 250gig drive :wink:
optilude
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathose wrote:
Quote:

w/ a 250gig drive, space is an issue?

Space is *always* an issue. I'm sure I could manage to fill that disk up just by copying all the crap I have on DVD-Rs to it. ;-) I do music production on my Windows partition (the only purpose it serves), and when you do a few dozen takes of a long song, it does fill you disk up quite well!

Martin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: