ALSA works, KDE (no artsd) and ALSA doesn't
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neoTheCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: ALSA works, KDE (no artsd) and ALSA doesn't Reply with quote

i honestly, honestly look through all the forums but i could not find the answer to my problems...

i am runing kernel 2.6.8-rc3 with the ALSA drivers compiled in. i am using a CMI8738 sound card. when i am in text, mpg123 works. when i go into XFCE4, xmms with the alsa output plugin and alsaplayer work fine. as does xine. but if i go into KDE, no sound comes out (and i checked artsd is not running). xmms and others will look like sound is coming out (i do not get any errors, and the analyzer scopes looks like it plays). and if i exit KDE, i can not get sound to come out for anything else that worked previously...

does anybody have any clue?

thank you very much,
-- neoTheCat
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to sound settings in kde and then in arts change the sound system to Advanced Linux Sound Architechture

this should do it
neoTheCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sobers_2002 wrote:
go to sound settings in kde and then in arts change the sound system to Advanced Linux Sound Architechture

this should do it

thank you for your response.

i enabled arts, set it to ALSA, tried xmms with the arts plugin and a recompiled amarok with arts switch, and still the same behavior.

still, i would prefer not to use arts. also, i am confused on why the sound doesn't work once i leave kde...

thanks,
-- neoTheCat
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem, just with a SB Live card.. I went to Gnome, sound worked, went back to KDE, it worked as well, i decreased the volume since it was too loud (in KMix), wanted to watch a movie in MPlayer, but no sound came out, went back to Gnome, but now sound didnt work there as well. :( any ideas? everything is unmuted.,
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
neoTheCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i was mistaken. i restarted KDE and now anything with arts does play (it sounds horrible, but i guess i still need to play with some settings)

but i do not want to use arts or the wrapper. plus, when i exit KDE, mpg123, which worked fine before starting KDE, now doesn't work.

any ideas?

-- neoTheCat

neoTheCat wrote:
sobers_2002 wrote:

this should do it

thank you for your response.

i enabled arts, set it to ALSA, tried xmms with the arts plugin and a recompiled amarok with arts switch, and still the same behavior.

still, i would prefer not to use arts. also, i am confused on why the sound doesn't work once i leave kde...

thanks,
-- neoTheCat
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get no sound. :evil:
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
neoTheCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
I still get no sound. :evil:

ok, this is weird.... i went into xfce4, open op the sound mixer, started playing with sliders, lowerd the IEC channels and the master channels, put them back up, and now it is working.... very weird

-- neoTheCat
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is because they were muted in alsamixer........when u push them back up they get unmuted
neoTheCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sobers_2002 wrote:
that is because they were muted in alsamixer........when u push them back up they get unmuted

ok. i thought in alsamixer, there were "M"'s on top of the channels that were muted, and i did not see that
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: