Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
var partition corrupted - what data lies there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: var partition corrupted - what data lies there? Reply with quote

So my /var partition has bad sectors on it and I need to move my installation to a new hdd. I've already gotten a brand new same size hdd and plugged it in. I'm going to move the data and partition table using the method described here, but I think all the data on my var partition is beyond repair. What data lies on the var partition and will I be able to recreate it? Do I have to install gentoo again? 8O
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any problems copying out /var/db or /var/cache/edb then probably yes, a reinstall is needed. Otherwise portage won't have the right idea about what's installed.

Other things possibly living under /var are various applications' database-type stuff (including databases themselves like MySQL's tables) in lib, system logs in log, and spool files (including crontabs and print jobs) in spool. You might want to check tmp as well, and cvsroot if you're actually using it. (I had no clue it existed until I just looked in there....)

Good luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: