View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: firefox issues, multiple Reply with quote

ok, i have a few issues with firefox.

1. the fonts. how to fix the WIDE difference in font sizes. some are normal sized and others are too small or too blurry. i set the dpi to 72 to try to get larger fonts. the dpi measured on the ruler is 96.

2. the load time is about 4 times too high. i want my browser to load in 1 second. it takes 4 right now. this is down from the binary's 10 seconds and the over-optimized version's 100 seconds. i have prelinked already. is there anyway to get a quickloader for firefox? it is a program i use often.

also, i am unsure the prelink worked. i did a stage1 install with the pic in my use statements and i still get tons of "cannot prelink nonPIC" errors. with the stage3 install i got 4. with the stage1 i get closer to 20.

i decided to use -fstack-protector as well for firefox. this generally gives a 10% performance hit. does anyone know if this is the case in firefox. it was my intention to make sure all programs with access to the internet would have extra protection.

this is a repeatable load time as well, not just the first load.
MrPixel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Font sizes: have you tried setting Minimum font sizes? Set mine at 10pt, and I never get unreadablY small text, even with 96 dpi (screen res: 1280x1024). I use a slightly larger minimum for asian fonts, as they are hard to read even at 10pt.
I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but ...another option might be to install the EditCss (or similar) extension(s) which allow you to edit your userChrome.css ... there is also an extension which will allow you to edit a page's CSS 'in realtime'.

Load Times: Are you running with the mozilla-launcher script? I use the binar in /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/firefox-bin, and it cut down load times quite a bit ... am at about 2-4 seconds (depending on what else I'm doing at the time) with prelink and very conservative CFLAGS (ie., -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: