"Will be installing Gentoo on a server" help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: "Will be installing Gentoo on a server" help Reply with quote

Well, I will be installing Gentoo on a room server (at school we're gonna have a server for our room, a small client/server network).
It's an Athlon XP 2800+ machine, with 512MB ram, 2xSATA 80GB hdd in RAID 1 (software RAID). The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7VT600 which has a VIA KT600 chipset. The link to the mobo is here:
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VT600%201394.htm

Now my questions are:
1) Has anyone got experience with this mobo? I can't seem to find any information about the RAID controller onboard. Is it supported by the kernels? (either 2.6 or 2.4)

I've never installed Gentoo on a SATA RAID machine, any advise?

2) I will be using the Gentoo 2004.1 live CD. Should I go for a stage 1,2 or 3 install?

3) I've never installed Gentoo on Athlons (cuz I own a p4..), what should I make my CFLAGS, and USE flags. (I will be using only stable packages)

4) What, if any, precautions should I take?

5) The server has 1 (windows) partition created. There is Windows 2003 on the first partition. The rest is reserved for linux. How should I setup the partitions in fdisk? I know how to use fdisk, just need an advise about how to set them up. I dont think I will be able to make an extra boot partition because of the windows partition. Am I right?

6) Which filesystem should I use for the root partition?

Thanx :)
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, the RAID controller is VIA 8237. pls help :)
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
LeTene
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno anything about RAID, sorry - but if you're looking for quick help you should jump on #gentoo on the Freenode IRC network and ask there. There's usually 500+ people on there (and I've seen it go to 900!) - there will be a guru along on there shortly :P ...
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeTene wrote:
I dunno anything about RAID, sorry - but if you're looking for quick help you should jump on #gentoo on the Freenode IRC network and ask there. There's usually 500+ people on there (and I've seen it go to 900!) - there will be a guru along on there shortly :P ...

Im looking there now, over 850 people, but not much busy :?
I really need some information on how to get it to work. :)
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in the livecd and see if it detected the raid. I understood that software raid can be a problem, but hardware should be easy..

ABout the cflags, I use:
CFLAGS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=athlon-xp -march=athlon-xp -pipe"

stage 1,2,3: how much time do you have, what do you feel like doing :)
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
Put in the livecd and see if it detected the raid. I understood that software raid can be a problem, but hardware should be easy..

ABout the cflags, I use:
CFLAGS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=athlon-xp -march=athlon-xp -pipe"

stage 1,2,3: how much time do you have, what do you feel like doing :)

If the Live CD detects the RAID (which is I think set up in the BIOS), then the job should be easy right? What will I have to include in the kernel? If it doesnt detect the RAID, I guess I will have to set it up with the live cd... how do i do that.

But thanks about the CFLAGS :)
LeTene
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
If the Live CD detects the RAID (which is I think set up in the BIOS), then the job should be easy right? What will I have to include in the kernel? If it doesnt detect the RAID, I guess I will have to set it up with the live cd... how do i do that.

But thanks about the CFLAGS :)

If it's detected, an lsmod at the command prompt will show you the loaded modules which will help at kernel-building time.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much/anything about raid, but this thread is about someone with your chipset/raid..
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=155644&highlight=8237+raid
esoteriskdk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3) If you are going for stability, use very conservative C-Flags. My server at home is also a single CPU Athlon XP and my flags look like this.
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

march=athlon-xp implies mcpu=athlon-xp, so there is only need for the first.

If you want to avoid unnesessary bloat and have more control over your USE Flags, use -* and then specify the flags you know you are going to need. Like this
Code:
USE="-* acl apache2 crypt maildir mysql ncurses nls pam samba sasl ssl"

2) Go for Stage 1, you are not going to compile OpenOffice or any of the heavy programs, so it should only take a few hours.

6) I'm a big fan of XFS, otherwise I would suggest the slow but stable EXT3.

7) Leave the first NTFS partion alone and create a 32M partion for boot as pri. nr. 2, then for your third primary partition make whatever size you want for root. Make 4 extended and after that make swap, home, var etc. But make sure you setup GRUB correctly (do a search on the forums)

1) Forget about the proprietary software RAID, always use the built in Linux Software RAID, which is so stable your life could depend on it. Unless of course you have true hardware RAID.

4) Delete Win2003 :wink:
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys :) I will check it all out.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, got another question. What If I want to create more NTFS/FAT32 partitions after I install Gentoo?
esoteriskdk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, just make sure there is space available, then you can do it in Win2003 under Computer Management -> Disk Management.

You can forget about resizing partitions with Partition Magic though.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esoteriskdk wrote:

You can forget about resizing partitions with Partition Magic though.

I bet :D
thanx a lot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: