Everything works except CD Audio
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Everything works except CD Audio Reply with quote

All my audio is working except CD Audio, it seems that my machine doesn't even recognise that the disk is in the drive. Grip even tells me that there is no disk, there's nothing actually wrong with the drive, pressing the play button on the machine playes the CD through my normal speakers, but none of the software I've tried has been able to even read the disk. Any ideas?
Xinos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: My two cents Reply with quote

I am not sure but are you not supposed to have a cable that runs from the cd player to the sound card to auto play music cd's. I am not sure where that popped into my mind from but maybe it will help if I am mistaken someone please straighten me out. I guess this would not apply if it is integrated sound. Hope this helps. If you mount the cd you can see the music files on there?

K. Allan Wilson
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:35 am    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

my soundcard is a SBLive! value, (my cd drive is a vanilla 56x). I'm assuming from the fact that pressing play on the drive (there are two buttons on the cd drive, play/fwd and stop/eject) and having audio coming through my normal speakers means that either the wire is connected properly or it's not necessary (I'm too lazy to drag my case out of its alcove and open it up now to check). I've looked around in this forum and while I did see some problesm wiht CD Audio not working, none of the fixes worked for me.
I cannot mount an audio CD (it gives me a bad FS type message), if it makes any difference I'm using Gentoo 1.4_RC1
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missing cable from the CD to the sound card is the most likely culprit. This has been asked a few times. Apparently, there is some utility that will play audio via the IDE cable. Naturally, with less quality.
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: I'm not sure about that Reply with quote

I've dealt with a lacking audio cable in the past; and in my experience it says that it's playing and no sound comes out. In my situation currently, it's not even recognising that the disk is in the drive.
Xinos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Why can't you mount cd Reply with quote

It sounds a little strange that you cannot mount the audio cd. I would look and see if maybe this might be the problem. As far as I know you mount audio cd as a normal cd and you can see the tracks if you can't do this then that is a problem. You might try to look at the problem that way.

K. Allan Wilson
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: ummm... Reply with quote

according to this thread
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=13299&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=mount
you cannont mount audio CDs since they have no file system, there are mentions around the web of kernel modules and such that could do this but I don't believe that's what I'm looking for. I was using Mandrake 8.1 up until a little while ago and it had no trouble reading audio disks without mounting them. At the moment, xmms and grip aren't even going as far as to show me a playlist (With or without CDDB). the audio CD browser in konqueror gives me an error message that it "could not read /", and KsCD gives me a segfault eror the second it loads (but only if there's an audio CD in the drive).
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparently, there is some utility that will play audio via the IDE cable. Naturally, with less quality.

Maybe that was a typo, but playing it digitally over the ide cable will give you the highest sound quality possible, while playing it through the analogue audio cd cable will give you lesser sound quality. This is discussed thoroughly on any audio ripping website.

For digital audio in xmms you can use cdread:
ftp://mud.stack.nl/pub/OuterSpace/willem/
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Nope, that didnt' work either Reply with quote

I just tried it, depending on how I access the disk it puts "unknown/audioCD" or "no CD in /dev/cdrom" in the playlist and doesn nothing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you mount non-music CDs OK?
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, without a hitch.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your user belong to the cdrom and cdrw groups?
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing this as root
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* (I'm only doing this once)
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having this problem up until 2 minutes ago, i add my user to these three groups (cdrom, cdecorder, cdrw) im pretty sure cdrom is the only one thats acutally needed, but i have a burner so i did the others too, so as i did this grip worked for me, give it a try
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried several different audio CDs? I have some audio CDs that consistently refuse to play in some of my CD-ROM drives, even though they work perfectly well in others.
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it with two seperate CDs, both with the same result, I know for a fact that at least one of them (the LoTR soundtrack) should work perfectly, I've ripped it in the past on this very computer when I had mandrake.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: