View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Weird gnome problems... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I want to try running gnome to see how I like it compared to KDE. A short while ago the copy I had running upgraded itself to 2.6, but the icons for various desktop items have all become generic and look the same, i.e., like a stack of papers or something.

I then noticed that when I do a emerge -p world I get the following message:

*** Package in world file is not installed: gnome-base/gnome

Even though that's definitely not true.

Even stranger, when I do a emerge -p gnome the list of stuff includes several new files and stuff that I thought had been installed when I upgrade to 2.6.0.

In short, I am beginning to suspect that the gnome that is installed is some weird 2.4/2.6 hybrid and that's why I don't have any icons, etc. and just a very generic look.

Does anybody have any idea how I could clean up this problem and get gnome working properly?

Thanks,

Alex
ravingsanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot in the dark, but maybe try:

Code:
emerge -uD gnome

That should upgrade all bits of gnome that haven't been upgraded as well as their dependencies.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravingsanity wrote:

Code:
emerge -uD gnome

That should upgrade all bits of gnome that haven't been upgraded as well as their dependencies.

Hmmmm... well, I would try it, but it wants to install all sorts of new stuff as well including mozilla which I don't necessarily want (just used to konqueror).

Any reason why mozilla is needed?

Alex
ravingsanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
ravingsanity wrote:

Code:
emerge -uD gnome

Hmmmm... well, I would try it, but it wants to install all sorts of new stuff as well including mozilla which I don't necessarily want (just used to konqueror).

Any reason why mozilla is needed?

Alex

Yes, Mozilla is needed in order to build Epiphany, Gnome's web browser (I have *no* idea why they didn't just make a mozilla-headers port to take care of that, but I digress). Also, if you originally installed Gnome from packages, then yes you will see a lot of new packages that need to be installed in order to build Gnome from the ground up. Mozilla's probably the worst dependency of them all, it taking the longest to build, IIRC.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: