View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiskDoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Mouse switching causes slow graphics Reply with quote

I have the strangest problem.. I want to switch from using a USB mouse to another, PS/2 mouse but as soon as XFree boots up with the new mouse installed and configured the responsetime of the system increase towards inifinity as-I-can see-big-blocks-of-graphics-slowly-being-drawn-on-the-screen..

Has anyone dealt with anything like this?:?:

Eager pressing of keys let me switch to console mode where "top" tells me nothing is taxing the system. I've tried different settings for the mouse protocol in XF86config, I've tried a serial mouse, I've tried disabling USB and Hotplug in the kernel, disabling USB in BIOS..to no avail.

Could something called "NVidias event handler" have something to do with this? In case anyone wants to know I'm using gentoo-sources-2.4.25-r2.

Edit: The PS/2 mouse seems to work fine in console mode with gpm, at least.
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm not sure, might consider emerging hotplug? and adding that to bootup? Or would that be double up?

Andhm... sounds like a X problem then, sure you tested all the protocols for mouse? I had the same problem when the protocol was wrong.

Do you have a usb->ps2 convertor to try the behaviour of the same mouse on the ps2 port?

try to plug in the mouse and see what happens in "dmesg" (command)
does it get properly recognized?

Then there are many different USB modules in the kernel, try to enable them all (OCHI/UHCI)...

Just some thoughts, saw nobody replied to you yet :)
DiskDoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: nvidia vs nv Reply with quote

Thanks for writing me suggestions! I don't see how hotplug would be needed for my PS/2 mouse..that's why I disabled it in the kernel in the first place (but it didn't help).

Can you plug in PS/2 mice when the computer is running? I suspect it's better to turn of the power..? So I haven't looked into dmesg.

This is what I've found out since my last post: The PS/2 mouse works just fine - as long as I use the internal XFree "nv" driver instead of nVidias own. This isn't a good solution since the XFree driver doesn't support 3D/GLX.

I've tried emerging the lastest unstable nvidia kernel driver, changing different options for it, using the internal AGP driver..all to no use. The PS/2 mouse works but as soon as anything is drawn on the screen, everything lags.
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my, I understood you wrongly! :oops:
Thought you wanted to move from ps2 -> usb

okay well... never had any problems plugging in ps2 with power on, but that is no guarantee! :)

you can try as a protocol:

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

or

Option "Protocol" "PS/2"

or look here for more...

http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse.html
DiskDoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Mouse protocols Reply with quote

Yes, I tried a few different protocols. PS/2 works fine, it's a pretty standard 3-button Logitech mouse. I feel the problem is at a deeper level..something with interrupt handling or hardware probing or graphics driver code.. I don't know. Izaq on theese forums is willing to sell me his USB mouse. That way I should be able to use nVidias closed source, tainted, evil driver to get some speed. It's the best solution I can think of now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: