View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: hope this helps someone-fixed mozilla crash on first keypres Reply with quote

First off, the setup::
Gentoo basesystem 1.4.15
Kernel 2.6.6 (development-sources)
Fluxbox 0.99
Mozilla 1.6-r1
Firebird-bin 0.8
cflags:
Code:
"-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

USE flags:
Code:
"X aalib alsa apache2 apm avi berkdb bonobo cdr crypt cscope cups curl directfb dvd encode fam foomaticdb gdbm gif gnome gphoto2 gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml imlib java jpeg ldap libg++ libgda libwww mad matroska mbox mikmod mmx motif mozilla mpeg mysql ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline ruby sdl slang spell sse ssl svga tcltk tcpd truetype usb x86 xml xml2 xmms xv zlib"

The/My problem::
Sometimes, when I opened *any* mozilla-based browser, as soon as I pressed a key, it totally locked up. I Had to use "killall -9 mozilla-bin" to close it. Browsing via bookmarks and the mouse worked, but keyboard input killed it. I Tried the firefox binary, but got same problem. I tried numerous re-emerges with some modified use flags, deleting all config files, still no luck.

What I determined::
I saw it mentioned in a much older thread that mozilla may have a problem with esd...but, I have "-esd" in my use flags. And fluxbox doesn't use any sound daemons. But...ps aux showed that esd WAS running when I was having this problem. I found that mpg123 WILL use esd even with the "-esd" use flag. I can't make the damn thing stop using it. If esd is running (ie, mpg123 is playing or paused) then I got this mozilla problem. If I kill esd, it worked fine. So I unmerged mpg123 and emerged mpg321, which DOESN'T use esd. And now, even with mpg123 (which links to mpg321) playing an mp3, firefox-bin works just fine (I'm in the process of downloading and emerging mozilla 1.6-r1)

So, my problem was with ESD. Mozilla does not seem to like it. I've had this problem before, too, and IIRC, mpg123 (and thus esd) was running at the time - I use cplay and gqmpeg sometimes, which are frontends that will use mpg123 for mp3s.

I also read some people mentioning that the problem may be with accessibility. I noticed that mozilla has a use flag "mozaccess", which is described as "Enable text-to-speech (and eventually to braille), http://mozilla.org/projects/ui/accessibility/", so I imagine emerging mozilla with the "-mozaccess" use flag may help there... But I have not tried this.

cheers!
...grep
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem - firefox/mozilla/epiphany all kept freezing and I couldn't think why (this was a fresh install, and mpg123 one of 2 things different from my last install, and I was hoping it wasn't a kernel problem)

I had the same problem with gaim which also seems to be fixed, so thank you :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: