Idea: install script? would you use it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxp3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Idea: install script? would you use it? Reply with quote

I am a long time linux supporter and have always liked linux because of the customization of it, and gentoo is the most customizable linux distro i have found.

one of the biggest problems i have had with gentoo is the install, mostly because it is very complicated and lacks a user interface, unlike most distros (mandrake, redhat now fedora, etc) understandably a user interface would complicate the install for the developer even more so im not asking for that.

I am considering making an install script for gentoo that will do most of the install for the user. the only problem with the install script is that
1) partitioning/formating/mounting the system would have to be standardized, (ie 15mb /boot/ ext3, 1.5xRam swap, rest root (/) ext3) for example.
2) configurations involving lots of oddities wouldnt work

but for most people these problems arent an issue.

So, i ask:

Would you install gentoo with an install script if you can pick the stage, kernel and syslogger that are going to be installed?

also the fdisk part of the install would have to be user done, but the install script could do the formating and mounting.

kernel config could be done via genkernel, or make menuconfig your choice.

Thanks, Tuxp3
HeartBreakKid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Gentoo... install difficult..."

Everytime I hear this argument, I am confused, especially when it comes from people who claim to be long-time linux users/supporters.

Personally, No, I would not use an install script, especially with predetermined partition scheme.

But back to my main point, the gentoo documentation is VERY thorough, and the install process is not really difficult at all. The only part of the installation that MAY be difficult for even the MOST novice of users is disk partitioning and properly setting up /etc/fstab.

The rest of the install, it just following the instructions...

Also, with the size of disks constantly on the rise, I think that the partitioning scheme as described is not thorough enough. Maybe some users who go through the install currently and setup their system EXACTLY like the example would find this OK, but for most users of gentoo, I have to assume that they AT LEAST have a seperate /home partition.

Last edited by HeartBreakKid on Fri May 28, 2004 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already a few install projects. You might see if you can help out with those rather than start from scratch. In particular, look for GLIS (I forget exactly where it was posted. Portage & Programming maybe).

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Kope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see installing Gentoo as difficult. And in fact I find that the "hands on" approach really gives you a much better sense of what's on your system. I'd not use a script precisely because I want to know what's there.
Professor Frink
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is a hands-on distro and I think the installer should be hands on as well.
"You've got to listen to me. Elementary chaos theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok in an orgy of blood, and kicking and the biting with the metal teeth and the hurting and shoving."
tuxp3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: perhaps i wasnt clear.. Reply with quote

Quote:
also the fdisk part of the install would have to be user done, but the install script could do the formating and mounting.
kernel config could be done via genkernel, or make menuconfig your choice.

when i said an install script, i didnt want to give the impression that it was limiting the install. i wanted to make an install script to automate the install, basicly do everything the user would do but right after each other.

as far as gentoo being hard to install: its not hard to install when following the directions, but its fairly involved and needs the documentation for most users (me, ive installed gentoo 6 times and i always use the documentation becuase i dont want to risk missing something and not knowing what, hence the install script.

the reason i want to automate the install is for adding unattended installs later and because some people cant sit infront of the computer and watch it compile for hours..

also with the partitioning scheme i have an idea that i think most people will find it sufice.
Set up partitions with fdisk
execute the install script with the /dev/hda1 as a commandline parameter.
install script formats, mounts, then download the stage tar ball from the internet and chroot into the new enviroment. (user picked via commandline and/or defines in the script file)
-Then as a seperate script start emerging the kernel sources (user picked)
assuming that the user doesnt want to have to manuelly configure the kernel then emerge genkernel and config/compile kernel then bootloader.

The main purpose for a script for installation would be automation. NOT to make it install with settings you dont want.

ill look into that one you mentioned

Thanks,
andrew
kc8tbe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Gentoo install is all that difficult. If I wanted to run an unattended install, I might create my own custom script. But I certainly wouldn't object to an installer program helping me find the optimal configuration for my hardware - although it would probably take something a bit more powerful than a script to do that.
teedog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, 3 installers:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=170371
http://glis.sourceforge.net/
http://gentoo.vidalinux.com/?q=node/view/35

Last edited by teedog on Sun May 30, 2004 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
brenden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on an install script, its written in python and it's intended to leave all the decisions in the user's hand. The main reason I created the script, was because I wanted to make it possible to install Gentoo on a bunch of machines with different configurations quickly. I believe the Gentoo install method is great, but there are several scenarios in which it's inappropriate. Keep in mind, you would never get far using my install script if you never done a manual Gentoo installation before.

<plug>http://sourceforge.net/projects/geninstaller/</plug>
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An official installer is also being worked on: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/index.xml
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
An official installer is also being worked on: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/index.xml

That project sounds nice because it will give even more of what Gentoo is all about, options. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: