Startup sequence broken: need help fixing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chennes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Startup sequence broken: need help fixing Reply with quote

I'm new to Gentoo and didn't read the instructions carefully enough when using emerge to update my system. Doh! I have consequently borked a large number of system configuration files. I am in the process of rebuilding and am having some trouble figuring out what's going wrong with my boot-sequence. At first, startup appears to be going normally. At some point, however, as it executes scripts in init.d, it begins to spew numerous ": command not found" messages (note that it is NOT printing out said unfound command). It prints them out between various "Starting blah..." statements, but I'm not sure it they are ocurring before, after or during the scripts. My real confusion starts when I manually run /etc/init.d/some_service start: I get no errors. Where are these errors coming from!?

Is there any easy (or sort-of easy) way to blow away the system configuration files in etc and replace them with the default ones? I have not made many modifications to them, and nothing that I can't recreate in 20 minutes if I can just get the system to start normally!
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the errors you get I can only guess that you may have a line in e.g. /etc/rc.conf uncommented that shouldn't be.
chennes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see what I see: 8 lines scroll by between each "Starting..." item, each of which reads ": command not found". Not much info there.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot from a Livecd, do the chroot stuff to get into your Gentoo installation, and re-emerge baselayout (i.e.: "emerge --oneshot baselayout" to ensure it doesn't get incorrectly recorded into your world file).

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
chennes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that had no effect on the errors. Now I'm even more confused. I think that at this point the easiest way to recover the system is to reinstall it. Oh, well.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your "rc-update show" and make sure it's not trying to start something that isn't there.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start over yet! Try an rc-update -s to list what services are being started. delete the ones you don't need: rc-update del <insert> boot/default Any that you want that aren't starting correctly just re-emerge.

Or you could just do an: emerge -e world. This will rebuild the entire system and all your optional packages from scratch.

Either way remember to update all config files after every emerge. Use etc-update or dispatch-conf. dispatch-conf works best for me (it has a rollback feature). If you use it remeber to emerge rcs and edit the /etc/dispatch-conf.conf file.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of something. Are these errors related to kernel-modules not being loaded? If so add them to your /etc/modules.autoload.d/2.x file.
chennes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
Just thought of something. Are these errors related to kernel-modules not being loaded? If so add them to your /etc/modules.autoload.d/2.x file.

I wish I knew - the error message is completely non-descriptive. I decided to go ahead and re-install from scratch - I've been wanting to do a stage 1 anyway (the first was a stage 2), so all is not lost. I just need this server back up by Tuesday.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, OK. Sorry I couldn't help more.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when I last saw this it was because a CR had crept into a system script. Still, if you're reinstalling anyway...
chennes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help -- I just finished the re-install and everything is back to normal. Note to self: next time, RTFM. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: