Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is Gnome so ugly?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Why is Gnome so ugly? Reply with quote

Before you all bring out the flame throwers and start a barbeque, let me explain:

Both Gnome and Xfce4 is based on the GTK+ toolkit, so they use the same basis for what is drawn on the screen. the problem is that Xfce4 is doing a great job of creating a visually pleasing desktop along with some very nifty apps, while Gnome, which is older and more "developed" than Xfce4 is plain ugly and extremly difficult to make look decent whereas Xfce4 looks decent out of the box.

I think Gnome is in dire need of better and more graphical artists and not just kids with Gimp trying to make even more horrible themes.

Your take?

Oh, and I'm not a newbie to any DE environment or to linux for that matter. Have used Linux as my main OS for 10 years.
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look through some of the Gnome desktops on the screenshot threads, I'm sure you'll find something you like.
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Gnome so ugly? Reply with quote

headache wrote:
I think Gnome is in dire need of better and more graphical artists and not just kids with Gimp trying to make even more horrible themes.

I totally agree with you. I love Gnome a lot, just liked it since I saw it the first time in a screenshot when I used Windows few years ago. But I don't see a theming scene as for example KDE has. It would be amazing to have a GNOMELook.org :P Is so difficult to find a GTK+GTK2 theme that looks cool :oops:
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you run Fedora? It's an outstanding desktop. Bluecurve is great.
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the redhat artwork you have it in portage:

Code:
*  x11-themes/redhat-artwork
      Latest version available: 0.73
      Latest version installed: 0.73
      Size of downloaded files: 9,011 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.redhat.com/
      Description: RedHat's Bluecurve theme for GTK1, GTK2, KDE3, GDM, Metacity and Nautilus

But my favourite is Ximian's look'n'feel. :) They include everything integrated, cursors aswell!

Code:
*  x11-themes/ximian-artwork
      Latest version available: 0.2.26.0.6.1-r1
      Latest version installed: 0.2.26.0.6.1-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 3,728 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.ximian.com/xd2/
      Description: Ximian Desktop's GTK, Galeon, GDM, Metacity, Nautilus, XMMS themes, icons and cursors.

ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fernandotcl wrote:
Have you run Fedora? It's an outstanding desktop. Bluecurve is great.

emerge redhat-artwork

:twisted:
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After kde-look.org started, GNOME launched art.gnome.org. The only problem was that the site was taken down for a while after the GNOME servers were compromised, but now it seems as if it'll be "back soon...," which should be a good thing.

As far as GNOME being ugly, I'm assuming that by ugly you mean the overall appearance including fonts, icons, and themes?
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like gnome's look. The "simple" theme is nice, as is a semi-put together by me (I took other peoples' work and combined them) theme (http://www.roguelazer.com/Screenshots/GNOME/Nautilus.jpg for a picture), although most people would disagree with me.
Registered Linux User #263260
Fire-Reiher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... ;)

http://ads-clan.org/Screenshot-1.png
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I find most of the screenshots in the various screenshot threads severly ugly and appauling.

I have looked at the arts.gnome.org and emergeed the artwork and it's far from art!

It's amazing that 2 DE's that use the same toolkit can be so different in looks.

Sorry guys, to me gnome is incredibly ugly even though I like the GTK toolkit.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the GTK theme in my screenshot. It is called Smooth Streak and to me at least it looks awesome as hell. I thought I had an old screenshot from my GNOME using days, but I suppose not, so seeing it in the ROX filer windows and such will have to do.
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r, Not bad, actually one of the better i have seen.
sn4ip3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Digital-Cream theme from here. But I don't use gnome, I prefer ion3 :wink:
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and it matches well with my Fluxbox setup as far as the color of the menu goes and stuff. Personally, I don't see where QT or anything else beats the Smooth Streak GTK theme, but that's just me.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: GNOME Reply with quote

I think I am the only person left in the world who likes the simplicity and cleanliness of GNOME. Both KDE and Xfce4 seem to gaudy to me.

I am a little worried that the next version of GNOME is going be in black and white, since color is too complicated for users. As long as they let me turn it back on though, I will be happy.
rndmtask
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r it looks like your theme is using the xfce4 theme engine. Personally I hate the look of xfce and I love the simple look of gnome. It can get a little plain over time but for the most part its great. Just different taste I guess.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Gnome so ugly? Reply with quote

headache wrote:
Xfce4 is doing a great job of creating a visually pleasing desktop [snip] while Gnome [snip] is plain ugly and extremly difficult to make look decent whereas Xfce4 looks decent out of the box.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You ask the question as if there were an actual "answer". Your opinion is valid, but it is just that... an opinion.

Personally, I find xfce4 to be the second ugliest environment, surpassed only by KDE.
Sotol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Gnome so ugly? Reply with quote

headache wrote:

Show me what you think a good looking screenshot is.

Just outta curiosity.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rndmtask wrote:
Pwnz3r it looks like your theme is using the xfce4 theme engine. Personally I hate the look of xfce and I love the simple look of gnome. It can get a little plain over time but for the most part its great. Just different taste I guess.

Actually it's using the smooth GTK engine. I used an Xfce-engine-based theme called Xfce-winter before and it was okay but not as nice as Smooth Streak. I also used Xfce before and all that I can say is that I was perturbed by it. When it comes to the look of my desktop I prefer a theme that combines simplistic colors with a nice design. Probably the same reason that I use the perlgrey cursor theme.
Vadatajs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn4ip3r wrote:
I prefer the Digital-Cream theme from here. But I don't use gnome, I prefer ion3 :wink:

Very nice. Aluminum Alloy Smog here.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care how damned pretty my desktop is. I care more about how usable my desktop is. Hey, I just switched back to using Bluecurve so obviously I'm not too worried about how pretty the darn thing is. :lol:
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desktop is... a black screen with auto-hiding panels. I spend my time looking at apps and I like Gnome's simple, elegant look that isn't "in my face".

Maybe if you want to sell an operating system on its own (cough-- Windows, Mac-- cough) you have to sell its window dressing as some kind of exciting feature worth $100's but with Open Source, you get it all for free anyway.

This reminds me of car reviews where they describe the look and swish and feel of the car but don't get around to telling you the electrical system dies after the first rain or the tires explode or it rolls over etc.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Gnome so ugly? Reply with quote

headache wrote:
.. Xfce4 looks decent out of the box.

If you think GNOME looks ugly out of the box, since Xfce uses GTK+, as you say, for its everything besides the window borders, simply use one of the themes that come with Xfce as your "Controls." Apps/Desktop Preferences/Themes/Themes Details/Controls.

GNOME also doesn't force you to use Metacity. I've been using Openbox3 as my WM for the last week or two and I've been liking it.

Quote:
Your take?

As other people have said, you're entitled to your opinion and it just so happens that I don't agree with it. I think GNOME's default clean themes (Mist and Simple, for example) are great and for some reason I can't like the gradient happy themes that seem to be a mark of a lot of Xfce themes in comparison.

FWIW, I've been using Lila-based themes as of late. Although at the moment I'm using Lila-Simple as my GTK+ theme and winter-GTK+OB3 for by OB3 theme.

It would probably be a lot more helpful if you actually SAID what it is you don't like about GNOME's overall look and feel. You obviously seem to have a thing for gradients. I don't, personally, but I guess you probably want themes based on the smooth or xfce engines. Perhaps check out the Lila thread in Gentoo Chat. It has a GTK+ theme based on the Xfce with gradients here and there.

Also, are there any themes you like on here? Emerge gnome-themes-extras if you do.
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...

Gnome can be beautiful.
IvanHoe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headache wrote:
Before you all bring out the flame throwers and start a barbeque, let me explain:

Both Gnome and Xfce4 is based on the GTK+ toolkit, so they use the same basis for what is drawn on the screen. the problem is that Xfce4 is doing a great job of creating a visually pleasing desktop along with some very nifty apps, while Gnome, which is older and more "developed" than Xfce4 is plain ugly and extremly difficult to make look decent whereas Xfce4 looks decent out of the box.

Your take?

Oh, and I'm not a newbie to any DE environment or to linux for that matter. Have used Linux as my main OS for 10 years.

I personally think that KDE and Xfce4 are totally ugly (and very difficult to make even acceptable). However, I feel that the default look of Gnome is clean, simple and absolutely beautiful.

So, I guess it a matter of ones own personal taste, right?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: