View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: scrolling weirdness (SOLVED) Reply with quote

hmm when browsing (tried both opera and firefox) my scroll doesn't scroll the page, it moves backwards and forward through the pages on firefox and only scrolls when over the scroll bar in opera

not sure what I've done wrong tbh, heres the mouse section from my XF85config
Quote:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

its not the end of the world, but slightly annoying > its on my 'to do list', but thought i'd throw it open before doing any heavy looking into it :)

Last edited by kleeks on Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
piraeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firefox thing sounds like keybindings, have you checked that yet? Sorry I don't use firefox... the opera thing is weird .. I can't find a solution at the moment...

[edit]You might try http://list.opera.com/pipermail/opera-linux/
sorry i can't help more...
kleeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna persue the firefox side of things, and will look at me keybindings (lol when i find the relative hidey-hole) - after using both, i prefer FF ya see :)

cheers for the reply - I take it you can see nowt wrong with the XF86Config then :) (I was thinking the problem was there, due to both browser reacting oddly) - lol in fact come to think of it, it behaves oddly in all apps

usually if theres a horizontal and vertical scroll bar, scrolling moves the horizontal one, not the vertical one :-0 - its then neccessary to move over the vertical one to have it work. THis is true for all the apps i have checked it with
piraeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ok that does sound like it might be a mapping problem.
From /usr/doc/xorg-x11-6.7.0/README.mouse:
Quote:
5.2 ZAxisMappping

This option maps the Z axis (wheel) motion to buttons or to another axis.

Option "ZAxisMapping" "X"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "Y"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "N1 N2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "N1 N2 N3 N4"

The first example will map the Z axis motion to the X axis motion. Whenever the user moves the wheel/roller, its movement is reported as the X axis motion. When the wheel/roller stays still, the real X axis motion is reported as is. The third example will map negative Z axis motion to the button N1 and positive Z axis motion to the button N2. If this option is used and the buttons N1 or N2 actually exists in the mouse, their actions won't be detected by the X server.

So maybe you should try
Code:
Option    "ZAxisMapping" "X"
and mabe that will fix things...and there's more in the README.
kleeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - didn't have that doc , must've slipped through the net

found it online though :) >>> http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/mouse5.html#23

As i read it,
Code:
Option "ZAxisMapping" "X"

will cause the wheel Movent to be mapped to the x-axis (this being sideways mouse movement) - I may have read it wrong, but believe
Code:
Option "ZAxisMapping" "N1 N2"

to be the correct way forward (as i already have it) - You may however be on the right trail, and its certainly a lead I'm following up on
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they've fixed it in xorg, but in xfree you had to map the wheel to last two buttons (eg. 6 7) to get it working, and then remap those back to buttons 4 and 5 using xmodmap. If you stated ZaxisMapping to 4 5 directly you wouldn't get mouse buttons four and beyond working.
piraeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right kleeks, I wasn't paying close enough attention when I copied that. Did you ever get it working? (in case someone comes across this post later)...
kleeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe its an ongoing thing atm (along with 'other' things i need to get sorted) - this particular problem is about middle of my list, but good weather and RL have been interfering with any action

I'll be sure to post the causes/solution when i find it - I've tried changing the protocol's and various bindings, but to no avail - will try flammies trick next, and maybe emerge iwheel (name might be wrong there - but it was something i nopticed in another thread) other options I'm looking at is the old knoppix trick (cfg cutting and pasting)

watch this space .....
kleeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me slaps himself with a medium sized, slightly marinaded, clay baked haddock

well flammie was on the button - although the scroll wheel worked (zaxis bound to 6 7 in XF86config) it was infact bound to forward and back (hence the skipping through pages and horizontal scrolling) - actually trying the side buttons gave it away when they scrolled the page up and down :oops:

Code:
xmodmap -e "pointer 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

fixed things, just need to add it to my .xinitrc now

during my searchfor an answer i came across this many times, but because i had some response from the wheel, i figured it didn't apply to me :roll:

I guess the lesson learnt is to try everything before resorting to pleas for help :)

Cheers for pointing us in the right direction Mr flammie sir .....
piraeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. The good side is that hopefully someone else having the same problem will come across this post and have their answer. So you probably helped someone else. You might want to append [Solved} to the beginning of this topic subject, so people can find it in their searches and helpers can move on to unresolved issues. From what I understand, people often fix their issues and never post back, which leads to duplicate questions, and that's not good for the forum's server hardware in the long run.
:wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: