View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingKool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: problems when EXITING X-windows Reply with quote

Recently installed gentoo, using genkernel on AMD64/nvidia nforce laptop 16:10 widescreen.

Loading X-windows is no problem, kde loads beautifully with kdm, etc. But, when i exit X (either by typing exit or ctrl+alt+backspace) or kde (end sesion), the screen goes crazy. I can see the green/red colors of the console in the background, but the vertical refresh rate seems to be out of whack. I know it still takes command cause if i type "startx" and then enter X will load up again, and if i type "reboot" i can see a lot of green and red through the snow and it will eventually reboot.

Is there any way to fix this? it makes it awfully hard to debug when i have to reboot everytime and check kernel logs just to see what happened..

Thanks a lot
Zzoot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Not yet. I get the same thing on my laptop using 2.4.25 with an nvidia 440go chipset. Its the nvidia drivers.

I believe that its any video driver version past 4363 had this...problem.
If you use the open source nv driver instead, there's no problem. Of course, then you lose all your hardware acceleration, opengl/glx, etc. That's a solution worse than the problem for me...
Here's a thread (or you can search for "nvidia console blank")

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=129866&highlight=nvidia+console+blank

EDIT:--> Okay, acually it looks like there could be a solution- or at least a workaround... Look in that thread link towards the bottom of the page- they describe an option "ignoredisplaydevice". I haven't tried it because its not very feasable for me, but it might work for you...?
Good luck!
Skraut
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Norwalk, OH, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking for the same answer too. going to try the method they recommend here.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=152864&highlight=nvidia+lockup
Skraut
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Norwalk, OH, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can confirm it worked for me, hope it helps you too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: