Hardware Detection Has Really Gone Into the Crapper
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freebit50
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Hardware Detection Has Really Gone Into the Crapper Reply with quote

I booted from the latest LiveCD and it seems that the new CD's nowadays really just make a mess of the hardware detection. In the old days Gentoo would auto detect nothing and it was great. The interface was simple, no fancy background pictures, and you had to modprobe everything, but at least it worked...always. Now we got fancy background pictures, hotplugging, and all kinds of frills that just fubar everything. The hardware detection scheme isn't straight forward anymore (ie better when it was nonexistant). No the LiveCd has so many frills it is hard to detangle the mess. The more complicated crap gets the higher the chance it can crash in flames.

I tried to boot in various ways, but I can't get my orinoco card going. The driver loads and everything...I searched the forums, I am not alone in this issue. Niether the gentoo, or smp kernel gets it right. I tried turning off all hardware detection and doing it the old school way, but it didn't work. Why o'why does everything have to be autode-damn-tect all the frickin time.?!?!? ARRGHHHH!!!!!!
freebit50
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to download and burn 1.2 and 1.4 and try them. GAWD!!! I miss the old days. I accidently tossed them long ago. :oops:
fng
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is indeed a detection problem with 2004.1. 2004.0 and older live cd's are just fine, and they an also be used for installing a new gentoo system
thx1137
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day,

My network card wasn't found when using the gentoo kernel however when I reinstalled using the smp kernel it did find my network card. My boxes are all single processor but it works ok anyway. Fortunately doing a modprobe worked ok so it was easy to continue the install. The network card has been my only detection issue.

On a side note... It is my first time with gentoo and I really like the idea behind portage, I followed the install instructions and everything has worked first go so I am impressed. :-)

Regards,
Steven.
LeTene
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can switch off nearly everything - the detection, the framebuffer, etc - just press F2 when the LiveCD boots up for a list of parameters...
freebit50
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can switch off nearly everything - the detection, the framebuffer, etc - just press F2 when the LiveCD boots up for a list of parameters...

Yes, your right. I did. I noticed though, that many modules still get loaded on startup (from lsmod output). If all auto detection and everything is diabled, then by what mechanism are all these modules being autoloaded into the kernel? Inquiring minds want to know. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: