New computer thinga-ma-bob
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ats007spdou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: New computer thinga-ma-bob Reply with quote

I didn't know where to put this up so why not here :roll: .

I'm planning on buying a new computer soon. And I have oodles of questions.

1) Which is faster, comparatively speaking, at executing instructions, AMD 64 or Intel? The reason why I ask is because I'm looking into buying a Gateway machine which has Intel and such or an eMachines (maybe even Alienware) because it has AMD 64 and is cheap. I'm asking this because I'm planning on getting a machine with 160 Gbs of hard drive space and partitioning it into a Linux and a Windows one. The reason why I ask this is because I'd like to have something that is pretty darn fast, for some games :wink: .

2) Is installing Gentoo on AMD more/less problematic than installing it on Intel? Given the fact that I'm new to Linux, I think that I'll probably do the 3rd stage install and get the thing running asap.

3) Which is a good computer, from your personal experience, that you've purchased already built? Like I said, I'm partial to Gateway, Alienware or eMachines. However, I'm opened to options.
ats007spdou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the concensus on HP out there? I was looking at one just now, 160 GB hard drive, 256 NVIDIA card, 2.4Ghz AMD 64, 1 Gig Ram, sound card (don't remember the exact name) and an 17 inch monitor.
semi-fly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ats007spdou wrote:
What's the concensus on HP out there? I was looking at one just now, 160 GB hard drive, 256 NVIDIA card, 2.4Ghz AMD 64, 1 Gig Ram, sound card (don't remember the exact name) and an 17 inch monitor.

I say build your own - then you'll know what's in your system. If you've never assembled a machine before, find a friend who has and get some help. You'll wind up with a better supprted system using industry standard hardware then one from a major system builder. If you can't build your system, I'd say get one from a linux-centric company - pogo or monarch maybe. Oh, and go AMD 64 - it rox. :)
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, don't go with a company that builds it for you because they often use non-standard motherboards, cases, and etc.
ats007spdou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to build it myself, the only problem is that I'm pressed for time. When I come back to the states from my internship abroad, I'll have less than 10 days to get packed up and get ready for college. As a result, I'm sort of stuck :roll: .

By the way, what are some of the advantages that AMD has over Intel? I know that it runs 64 and 32 bit apps, but what else?
semi-fly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, AMD is true 64 and that should be enough to warrant a purchase over a P4-based system - plus, the AMD 64's run cooler and consume less power. :)
ats007spdou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theser are my top choices in terms of the likelyhood that I'll buy them. I could change my mind later on, so I'm not 100% sure

1. Gateway 710T Intel
  2. HP a650e AMD 64 3700+
  3. eMachines T3092 AMD 64 3000+
  4. Alienware Aurora AMD 64 3500+

Tell me some of your thoughts on the above selection. What has been your experience with these machines and Gentoo? How was the quality of the service? I'm open to any other recommendations to other computers, not just these, so please tell me. Also, some of the above mentioned computers have the new 9-in-1 card readers, does Linux support that? Thanks in advance.

MOD EDIT: Cleaned up the mess that broke the page layout. Please use the BBCode tags, folks, at least for URLs... --plate
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: