NVIDIA AND KERNEL 2.6 SOLUTION FOUND
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: NVIDIA AND KERNEL 2.6 SOLUTION FOUND Reply with quote

i was replying to a thread but the browser went down so ill just make another that all can see.

heres the nitty gritty

with the nvidia driver and kernel 2.6 (gentoo-dev-source-2.6.5-r1) i was getting a blank screen on x startup.
it was runing fine with kernel 2.4 (gentoo-sources) but i wanted to upgrade a bit. anyway.

with kernel 2.6 on an nforce 2 motherboard and a geforce 3 ti 200 my install went flawless, used the agpgart in the kernel for the nforce2 chipset and the nvidia driver and everythign plays well together.

on my server, the one with the problem, the hardware is as follows
via chipset motherboard and a geforce 4 mx 440
also for this machine i copiled in the 2.6 kernel agpgart support. (this was a mistake)

after reading a few threads, it seemed like the answer would be to NOT COMPILE in framebuffer support. THIS WAS NOT THE ANSWER.

after doing a bit of testing on my machine, i found out that if i removed agpgart support from the kernel completely, and then used
Code:
Option "NvAGP"  "1"

X started flawlessly. i quickly learned however that my framebuffer console becasue FUBAR.
it seems that when X is initialized (i dont think its the nvidia module as if i modprobe that, everything seems fine) it makes any framebuffer (bootsplash or not) look as if it has been zoomed in on 10X?, only the work root fits across the screen. and sometimes it resembles the origional atari.

hope this thread helps save someone out there some time, i know i could have used a thread like this tonight. if anyone has anything to add, or knows how to get this to stop destroying my framebuffer console please let me know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: