Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soaringcondor wrote:
Anyone have a working config for Big Desktop I can try?

here's mine.

if anybody else needs examples, let me know as i have quite a few. i've been screwing with this X setup for days now. i never had this much trouble with any nvidia card....i'm even thinking about selling my card and picking one up. :evil:
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom wrote:
here's mine.

Awesome, now I don't feel so bad about forgetting to post mine last night. :oops:

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble, atom. I've heard that from a lot of people, yet I have not had any torubles at all with my card. I don't know whether I just got lucky and got everything right in my first try, or whether newegg sold me a lemon that actually turned out to work better in linux. :lol:
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the configuration, modifying only the BusID to reflect the different setup of my motherboard (once correcting it and once commenting it) and recieved the same error from Xorg about not being able to init the screen with device 0.

Perhaps it's not my configuration file? What else could it be?
geekforhire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen all the talk about the lack of decent support for ATI cards and multi-headed setups and thought I would add this into the mix.

For any R200 based cards I find the DRI 'snapshot' driver to be far superior to ATI's driver for multi-headed use. RIght now I am using two 19" CRT's with a Radeon 8500 128MB card...xorg and kde 3.3 beta2. With this setup I am able to have a 'big desktop' of 2560X1024 and KDE is 'aware' of the two monitors and allows me to maximize windows to fill one monitor instead of the entire desktop. The 'Multiple Monitors' section of the display setup under KDE works well with the R200 DRI driver and gives you quite a bit of control.

Cant really vouch for gaming performance with this setup as I dont really play games. If anyone is interested in my X config I can post it.
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geekforhire wrote:
I have seen all the talk about the lack of decent support for ATI cards and multi-headed setups and thought I would add this into the mix.

For any R200 based cards I find the DRI 'snapshot' driver to be far superior to ATI's driver for multi-headed use.

'snapshot' driver? explain this. does it allow separate resolutions? what you described sounds like xinerama support of kde knows about both monitors.
geekforhire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snapshot driver is just the newest release that is available here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/~dri/snapshots/

As for seperate resolutions, I think that can be done, but its not the setup I am using.
Flamie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: The issue as when I last looked: Reply with quote

Hi, though I'd just add my experience.

The DRI radeon driver works fine with both Xinerama and DRI/GLX, it is possible to have different resolutions on the screens and KDE handles everything gracefully.

for gamers though a serious issue arises:

the DRI radeon driver is held back by a patent which disallows them to add s3tc support for textures, basically this means that loading textures takes much longer times, and takes up more VRAM. Above this mess some games (see savage) responds to glxinfo telling it it support s2tc (dri/glx does, driver doesn't) and thus the apps decides to use it no matter what and everything breaks.

fglrx on the other side works fine when it comes to gaming, with support for most extensions needed. The backdraw of this is though that Xinerama and GLX can't be used at the same time with the fglrx drivers, and so we are left with with the weird options given to us by fglrxconfig.

Another thing worth mentioning is tv-out, as that is possible to handle as a second screen.

I myself, had TV out working by using atitvout with the pre-xorg 6,8 drivers but since I went up to 6,8 atitvout no longer detects the TV and won't work.

There is a petition online somewhere for us who wants to put some pressure on ati to fix their drivers. I'd suggest _all_ users who have ati-cards should fill it in, and I'd also suggest to add to the comments that we'd prefer having ati paying the DRI folks for coding their driver and supporting them with all necessary documentation.

well, that's all I had to say folks!
*disappears*
crazy_freak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to use mplayer to watch a dvd accross two screens (as in 2 screens = one screen) is this possible with xinerama? This is the main reason why I want dual screens. I've tried looking for a guide but I cant find one. any help is appreciated.

edit: using the dri open source drivers on a 7000 ati radeon
veal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy_freak wrote:
I'm trying to use mplayer to watch a dvd accross two screens (as in 2 screens = one screen) is this possible with xinerama? This is the main reason why I want dual screens. I've tried looking for a guide but I cant find one. any help is appreciated.

edit: using the dri open source drivers on a 7000 ati radeon

i have mplayer playing movies over 2 screens without Xinerama (if that's ok for you too). it's just the difference that i want to get rid of it :D
i could get a temporary workaround by forcing mplayer to take xv as video-output (the default one split it over my 2 screens).

but still, the second screen just freezes while playing on the first monitor :/ i am still looking for a solution to this (manually resize mplayer and add black bars?), not yet found but just started searching :p

how mplayer plays over 2 screens: i used the fglrx drivers by running fglrxconfig and select BigDesktop. (i've got a radeon 9500pro (R300), dvi and analog output, lcd and a crt connected to those ports). can post my xf86config-4 if you want me to
den_RDC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a X800XL (because my 6800GT can't drive it's primary DVI link @ 162mhz) and the bigdesktop feature doesn't seem to work correcly - my second screen stays blank, but the other screen only shows half a desktop and xdpyinfo does report 3200x1200. The Xorg log shows the card detecting the second screen but it seems that the ati driver convieniently forgets to initialize the second screen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: