View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O strange..., I'm out of idea what causes it, sorry dude.
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nielchiano: Here's a fix for your mozilla problem...

The actual executable for firefox is /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/firefox. You have a couple options here...
1) Edit the path in your apps menu and point to this file instead of /usr/bin/firefox.
2) Write a shell script to check for the existence of the "lock" file as mentioned before, and if it doesn't exist run /usr/bin/firefox; if it does, run /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/firefox.

I threw the 2nd option in there because I'm not entirely sure how important the rest of the /usr/bin/firefox script is in firefox's overall functionality. Running /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/firefox directly seems work alright...flash still works. Other than that I really haven't tested it much.

EDIT: I forgot to mention...the /usr/bin/firefox script is what makes it only allow one instance per profile. Running the above executable avoids this issue. :D
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

changed the /usr/bin/firefox script... here's the diff

Code:
--- firefox        2004-06-04 10:50:25.182631363 +0200
+++ firefox     2004-06-04 10:55:05.954850823 +0200
@@ -220,20 +220,25 @@
 find_running() {
   local screens s

+  ls $HOME/.phoenix/default/*.slt/lock
+  if [ -L $HOME/.phoenix/default/*.slt/lock ]; then
+       rm $HOME/.phoenix/default/*.slt/lock
+  fi
+
   # Try to start in an existing session; check all screens
   # with priority on the current screen
   screens=("$DISPLAY"
-    $(xdpyinfo | awk '
-      /^name of display:/ {
-        disp = substr($NF, 0, match($NF, /\.[^.]*$/)-1)
-      }
-      /^number of screens:/ {
-        for (i = 0; i < $NF; i++) {
-          this = sprintf("%s.%d", disp, i)
-          if (this != ENVIRON["DISPLAY"])
-            print this
-        }
-      }')
+#    $(xdpyinfo | awk '
+#      /^name of display:/ {
+#        disp = substr($NF, 0, match($NF, /\.[^.]*$/)-1)
+#      }
+#      /^number of screens:/ {
+#        for (i = 0; i < $NF; i++) {
+#          this = sprintf("%s.%d", disp, i)
+#          if (this != ENVIRON["DISPLAY"])
+#            print this
+#        }
+#      }')
     )

# Attempt to fix bug 39797 by making sure MozillaFirefox is running
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found one problem to my diff:

apparently firefox forgets the typed-url-history if you've openend the same profile twice...

to work on different profiles, DROP (=remove) these lines from the diff:
Code:
+  ls $HOME/.phoenix/default/*.slt/lock
+  if [ -L $HOME/.phoenix/default/*.slt/lock ]; then
+       rm $HOME/.phoenix/default/*.slt/lock
+  fi
+
vmlinuz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YopWongSapn wrote:
You have found a disadvantage of using linux over windows. Currently, Xfree's support for dual monitors needs a lot of work. The setup you have is called "Dual Head", which essentially runs 2 instances of X. With this setup, the only thing the 2 displays have in common is a mouse and keyboard. You cannot move a window from one display to the next, nor can you alt+tab between windows on different displays.
The alternative is the "Big Desktop" option, but if you maximize a window here it will take up both displays.

To my knowledge, there really isn't a way to handle dual displays in linux like you can in windows...and I don't really think Xfree has plans to make it so. If you happen across a means of doing this, I would be interested in hearing it! :D

I'll just jump in to the discussion here. I've got a Matrox G450 pci card with to indentical lcd monitors.

By following the instructions that followed the xfree modules that I downloaded from matrox.com I got a desktop that was 2560x1024 and KDE treates that as one display, displaying all splash screens in the middle (and by that divides it between the to monitors), fullscreenn covers both monitors.

And in, Control Center->Peripherals->Display->Multiple Monitors, it says that
KDE Contol Center wrote:
"This module is only for configuring systems with a single desktop spread across multiple monitors. You do not appear to have this configuration"

Now this sound like what YopWongSapn says. But I have another pc running SLES 9 beta 3.5 (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server due august and with this in my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
ssh -XY sles9 /opt/kde3/bin/startkde

when I run:
Code:
startx -- :1

KDE comes up nicely, splash screens are centered on my left screen, and KDE admitts that I have multiple screens.

So is the problem in Gentoo? Do I need some obscure paches?
(my box is emerged with ~x86 down the line)

regards
vmlinuz
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmlinuz wrote:

I'll just jump in to the discussion here. I've got a Matrox G450 pci card with to indentical lcd monitors.

By following the instructions that followed the xfree modules that I downloaded from matrox.com I got a desktop that was 2560x1024 and KDE treates that as one display, displaying all splash screens in the middle (and by that divides it between the to monitors), fullscreenn covers both monitors.

Therefore I use Xinerama
(2 Screens with xinerama), cause it tries to solve exactly that issue:
Maximizing a window maximizes it to exactly that screen (my left or right monitor). Apart from that it's a big desktop, I can move windows from the left to the right an vice versa.
Slashscreens sometimes appear in the middle (half on both monitors) (for eample Zend IDE 3.5 beta= others don't (eclipse, g2gui, azureus).
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmlinuz wrote:
And in, Control Center->Peripherals->Display->Multiple Monitors, it says that
KDE Contol Center wrote:
"This module is only for configuring systems with a single desktop spread across multiple monitors. You do not appear to have this configuration"

Now this sound like what YopWongSapn says. But I have another pc running SLES 9 beta 3.5 (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server due august and with this in my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
ssh -XY sles9 /opt/kde3/bin/startkde

when I run:
Code:
startx -- :1

KDE comes up nicely, splash screens are centered on my left screen, and KDE admitts that I have multiple screens.

So is the problem in Gentoo? Do I need some obscure paches?
(my box is emerged with ~x86 down the line)

regards
vmlinuz

When you say your "box is emerged with ~x86 down the line", do you mean the whole thing? That could definitely be an explanation for your strange issue.

Now, if you've been following this thread, Xinerama has been brought up several times as an option. Xinerama will do exactly what it sounds like you want it to. In your case with the 2 cards, all you have to do is add
Code:
Option "Xinerama"
to the ServerLayout section of your XF86Config file.

After a few days playing with Xinerama, here's my opinion. Xinerama is convenient; I like having both displays interact with each other. However, I felt like I was giving up more than I gained. I've had dual displays in gentoo for 6 months now, and I learned to like having 2 instances of x running (i.e. dual head mode for the radeon). With this setting I get 2 app menus and 2 sets of virtual desktops. I like this a lot...I'm lazy, and the less I have to move the mouse the better. :D Not to mention, I didn't want to give up my DRI for the minimal benefits of Xinerama.

If you would like to see the alternative to the big desktop option on your dual card setup, let me know and I'll post my XF86Config from my machine with 2 cards. It's pretty sweet...I recommend it over Xinerama.
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YopWongSapn wrote:

After a few days playing with Xinerama, here's my opinion. Xinerama is convenient; I like having both displays interact with each other. However, I felt like I was giving up more than I gained. I've had dual displays in gentoo for 6 months now, and I learned to like having 2 instances of x running (i.e. dual head mode for the radeon). With this setting I get 2 app menus and 2 sets of virtual desktops. I like this a lot...I'm lazy, and the less I have to move the mouse the better. :D Not to mention, I didn't want to give up my DRI for the minimal benefits of Xinerama.

the 2 app menu's: I think you could get that up with child pannels etc... not sure...

the 2 sets of VD: don't know... it looks nice now (dualhead mode too); but I miss the interaction; If I launch a program in the right screen, the only way to switch screens is to close it and re-open it.

Not that useful: I have my thunderbird open all the time on my left monitor, but I like to write my mails on the main screen (right)...

DRI: I can't get it... what is the link/difference between DRI, DGA, 3D accel, OpenGL?
Where does XVideo fit in? (since it doesn't work with me (yet))?
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielchiano wrote:
the 2 app menu's: I think you could get that up with child pannels etc... not sure...

I'm sure you could, but I haven't looked into it much.

nielchiano wrote:
the 2 sets of VD: don't know... it looks nice now (dualhead mode too); but I miss the interaction; If I launch a program in the right screen, the only way to switch screens is to close it and re-open it.

Not that useful: I have my thunderbird open all the time on my left monitor, but I like to write my mails on the main screen (right)...

I too missed the interaction first, but like I said, the dual head mode is something you learn to love. I find it hard to use the windows/xinerama setup after so long with the dual head. And as for the VD....I don't know where I'd be without 8 of them. :) I would think there's a way around that as well, but I'm happy with what I've got, so I haven't looked much into that either.

nielchiano wrote:
DRI: I can't get it... what is the link/difference between DRI, DGA, 3D accel, OpenGL?
Where does XVideo fit in? (since it doesn't work with me (yet))?

DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastructure...it's basically xfree/xorg's method of support for 3d hardware acceleration. Couldn't find much on google about DGA, just that it stands for Direct Graphics Access. Then, of course, OpenGL...it's an API for 2d/3d programming. See OpenGL's website for more details.
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YopWongSapn wrote:

If you would like to see the alternative to the big desktop option on your dual card setup, let me know and I'll post my XF86Config from my machine with 2 cards. It's pretty sweet...I recommend it over Xinerama.

I would like to see that (maybe some kind of HOWto would be great too) :D, YopWongSapn, can you post your XF86Config file, please.

thank you.

p.s. also specify that which one is your left monitor, left screen, and which one is your right monitor and right screen
or vice versa... :oops:
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here you go.

Quick explanation first...Monitor0 is the one on the left. Screen0 uses Monitor0 and Card0.

EDIT: Another quick note....all I had to do to enable Xinerama with this Config file was to add Option "Xinerama" to the ServerLayout section. Unfortunately, this trick does not apply to Radeon dual head cards.

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "extmod"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "dri"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "xtrap"
   Load  "type1"
   Load  "speedo"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option       "Buttons" "5"
   Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "VSC"
   ModelName    "1-2"
   HorizSync    31.5 - 57.0
   VertRefresh  50.0 - 100.0
   Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor1"
   VendorName   "VSC"
   ModelName    "1-2"
   HorizSync    31.5 - 57.0
   VertRefresh  50.0 - 100.0
   Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "ati"
   VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
   BoardName   "Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF"
   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card1"
   Driver      "nv"
   VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
   BoardName   "NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro]"
   BusID       "PCI:0:18:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth 24
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     16
      Modes     "1280x1024" "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     24
      Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen1"
   Device     "Card1"
   Monitor    "Monitor1"
   DefaultDepth 24
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     16
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another 1 quick question, left monitor, Monitor0 is also the one that is connect to the DVI connector on ATI card, right? or the one on CRT connector (still confused which one is the primary one)

oh yeah... if I add Option "Xinerama" in serverlayout section, does it allow me to have the "big desktop" with two seperate monitor's resolution? ( if not, I will live with dual monitor mode :roll: )

Thanks again man
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this config is not for radeon cards...this was in response to vmlinuz who had the 2 identical matrox cards. In this case, yes, Xinerama will work. However, in the case of the Radeon, enabling Xinerama is quite a bit trickier. I posted a link to a sample XF86Config in this thread...that file has Xinerama enabled.

If you want to try the "Dual Head" option for the Radeon, the easiest way to set it up is to use /opt/ati/bin/fglrxconfig to write the XF86Config file (back up your old one first). About half-way through it'll give you a choice of 4 different modes...single, clone, big desktop, dual head. If you choose the Dual Head setting you will get the 2 instances of X I was talking about in my last post.

With the Dual Head option for the Radeon, you can select different resolutions/refresh rates/color depths for the monitors. This is because the Dual Head mode actually uses 2 "Screen" sections. The Dual Head config file that's produced for the Radeon is similar to the one I posted above, but has a few subtle differences (i.e. DRI settings).

EDIT: And yes, in the case of the Radeon Monitor0 is the one hooked up to the DVI connector. :) The DVI connector is the primary display by default.
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the downside is that I can't drag stuff across the screen (that's pretty important to me).
:roll: each instance lives inside that screen session, unless i do "send to".

(I might have described it wrong... cuz I haven't used dual mode for a while)
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
the downside is that I can't drag stuff across the screen (that's pretty important to me).

(I might have described it wrong... cuz I haven't used dual mode for a while)

This was pretty important to me when I moved over from windows, but over time I got used to it, and now I like it a lot better. Personal preference I guess :D
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I remember a while ago... if i set it to dual mode, my ut2004 crashed... (maybe it's my other bad setting), but I thought it could be that ut doesn't know which screen to start, so that might explain why it crashed 8O :lol:

can you play ut2004 or et in dual mode?

I might need to write a little script that do a quickie dual mode <-> big mode convert :D
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
as I remember a while ago... if i set it to dual mode, my ut2004 crashed... (maybe it's my other bad setting), but I thought it could be that ut doesn't know which screen to start, so that might explain why it crashed 8O :lol:

can you play ut2004 or et in dual mode?

I might need to write a little script that do a quickie dual mode <-> big mode convert :D

I haven't encountered any problems playing any 3d games (although I haven't tried ut2004). Most of the time they start up in whichever display I used to start up the game. The rest of the time the games started in Screen0. Another option for you would be to convert to single display mode for gaming...this will a)speed up your system, and b)not confuse the game. :D

Those little convert scripts are nice...I used to use them when I switched between 1 and 2 displays (had to share Monitor1 with the roommate in those days).
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:

is there such a possibility? send a window to another screen?
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um i thought there is... click on the windows box, and select "send to" , I'm not very sure though...

ah, I got an idea that having 3 Desktops to work together,

maybe a useful script that will fire up tty7, 8 and 9 with 3 different modes.

tty 7 will be single display mode
8 will be dual mode
9 will be big desktop mode

8O 8O 8O, I call this uber desktop 8O

just an idea, anybody? :lol:
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
um i thought there is... click on the windows box, and select "send to" , I'm not very sure though...

ah, I got an idea that having 3 Desktops to work together,

maybe a useful script that will fire up tty7, 8 and 9 with 3 different modes.

tty 7 will be single display mode
8 will be dual mode
9 will be big desktop mode

8O 8O 8O, I call this uber desktop 8O

just an idea, anybody? :lol:

That would be pretty sweet if you could pull it off :lol:
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would startx script take different XF86Config config like though, let's say, it's XF86Config-1 XF86Config-2 and XF86Config-3
?
i thought it only likes "XF86Config" :D , otherwise having to rename the file name back and forth in such script is kind of lame way of doing it :D

p.s. how come only 3 active people in this thread 8O, what happen to all other gentoo men 8O.
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:

sen to desktop, yes, but send to screen?
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
would startx script take different XF86Config config like though, let's say, it's XF86Config-1 XF86Config-2 and XF86Config-3
?
i thought it only likes "XF86Config" :D , otherwise having to rename the file name back and forth in such script is kind of lame way of doing it :D

p.s. how come only 3 active people in this thread 8O, what happen to all other gentoo men 8O.

The startx script won't do that stock, it only looks for XF86Config and XF86Config-4. However, you could probably edit the startx script to look for others, possbily even restart itself with a specific config file based on actions by the user.
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I'm running single mode right now, and just want to test the screen's resolution and refreshrate see if they are getting correctly.

Is there a tool to test it?
like ati-drivers, those they supplied? :o
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
okay, I'm running single mode right now, and just want to test the screen's resolution and refreshrate see if they are getting correctly.

Is there a tool to test it?

yep, it's called "Manual" and is usualy included with every monitor. If you open it it imidiately tells you all supported resulutions and refresh rates. Will also tell you a lot of more technical info. If it's not supplied with your monitor, you might check the website.

lol

Don't know if there is a tool... just try it in X, see if it works and note down
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: