View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. My investigations lead me to believe that ATI's binary drivers have some sort of built-in Xinerama support, which is probably why you haven't done much with it. Unfortunately, simply adding it to my USE flags didn't do it for me. I'll give the above config setting a try one when I get home. If/when I get it working I'll post a how-to in the Documentation forum for those as confused as I am.

beastmaster wrote:
One draw back with this "Big Desktop" setting is that I can't set resolution on each screen individually, the big screen seems to want to uniform one as in the whole, which sounds kind of bad, cuz my other not-so-great monitor can't really handle more than 1024x768, but my other monitor can, my setting is at 1280x1024, thus... don't know how the other monitor will be able to handle it after a while :?

Yeah, the "Big Desktop" feature is less than ideal if you want different resolutions/refresh rates. In your case, if you're willing to give up the ability to drag windows between displays I would suggest using the "Dual Head" configuration. It works quite well for me.
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, got some info...

The big-desktop thing has some problems: you have a "BIG screen"; but as always, screens are rectangular (hence, you need the same resolution).

With Xinerama, you can tell your WM that you don't actualy have a big screen, but a big framebuffer, split over 2 screens. If they're not both the same resolution, then the framebuffer will contain "dead" zones, places that aren't put on a monitor.

I basicaly got xinerama to work, but I think there is a bug somewhere, can anyone agree with this:

When I use the kernel drivers (radeon) in Xinerama setup, it seems to work; both screens get my KDE-login manager. I can't get any futher, because it locks up for I don't know what reason. Important is that my left screen is on the requested 1024*768; my main screen is @ 1280*1024.

When I switch to the ATI-drivers; it doesn't work. Well, X still thinks it has a big framebuffer, so that part goes well; Only: I don't see my "left" screen.
The image I'm seeing on the left monitor is the same as on the main (exept totaly crapled). The mouse pointer however freely moves (also crappled).

My guess is: for some reason, the driver gives the WRONG framebuffer(part) to the secondary display. in my case, it gives the 1280*1024 image of the main monitor, which becomes crappled. Notice, it's the video-card which does it; since both my monitors display the same crappled display.

Can anyone check this? or agree? or...

edit: I tried this BOTH on the latest STABLE and the latest UNSTABLE ~x86... both give the same result

Last edited by nielchiano on Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YopWongSapn wrote:
Now beastmaster, you say all you did was add xinerama to your USE flags. Was this before or after you emerged your window manager?

the only packages which care about the xinerama USE flag are "qt" and "libsdl" for the WM part; also I noted mplayer and mozilla-firefox care too.

recompiling those should be enough

edit: that's for KDE; GNOME will be different

Last edited by nielchiano on Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielchiano wrote:
the only packages which care about the xinerama USE flag are "qt" and "libsdl" for the WM part; also I noted mplayer and mozilla-firefox care too.

recompiling those should be enough

Good to know.

Well, I don't use kde, so I won't be able to verify your findings. I've read a few how-tos and half of them say that the fglrx driver doesn't work with xinerama, the other half say it does. I'll post my findings with Gnome later this evening.
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I know, that's why I stick that flag in USE, just in case whatever x y z windows manager want to use it, or x y z program wants to use it :P

My suggestion is that if couldn't get the native ati's dual monitor mode or big desktop mode to work, recompile the xfree, and gnome or kde..., they might fix it...
I tempted to stay away from xinerama, cuz that one seemed to have some problems with some programs. also does xinerama allow you to have one giant deskop with different monitor's screen refresh rate, or it's only for dual monitor mode like ati has?

I don't recall how many times that I recompiled xfree and gnome back and forth... so try it and do fglrxconfig again.

hope that the new ati driver has some workaround for this.

in my case, ati driver works for dual monitor mode and a (lame crappy )big desktop mode in my xfree, gnome, fluxbox, openbox, and kernel gentoo-dev-source-2.6.5-r1.
I don't use kde, although I think once it works X, it should work in all other x environment...

Last edited by beastmaster on Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:

I know, that's why I stick that flag in USE, just in case whatever x y z windows manager want to use it, or x y z program wants to use it :P

My suggestion is that if couldn't get the native ati's dual monitor mode or big desktop mode to work, recompile the xfree, and gnome or kde..., they might fix it...

I don't guess so... Since they dont't care about that flag, the compile will be exactly the same (unless you changed other things too). I don't mind compiling, but I don't think it CAN make any difference...

beastmaster wrote:
also does xinerama allow you to have one giant deskop with different monitor's screen refresh rate, or it's only for dual monitor mode like ati has?

Yes, it does, just the way you'd expect it to work, multi-monitor with whatever settings you like
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
beastmaster wrote:
also does xinerama allow you to have one giant deskop with different monitor's screen refresh rate, or it's only for dual monitor mode like ati has?

Yes, it does, just the way you'd expect it to work, multi-monitor with whatever settings you like

8O 8O 8O

did you get it work in ximerama? Can you post your working XF86config file too? also, please specify which monitor is on the left, and which one is on the right, so I can mod it accordingly for my monitors :)
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, didn't get it to work completely... (see above, the wrong framebuffer-part)
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, the one that has a special digital connector is the primary display right? and the secondary is the one for tranditional monitor's plugin, right?
Just to verify that part...
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
I tempted to stay away from xinerama, cuz that one seemed to have some problems with some programs.

You know, I think I'll keep my home machine set on "Dual Displays" for the time being. I've been playing with Xinerama here in the office for a few hours, and frankly I'm not too impressed :?

The only plus side to it is the ability to drag windows between the displays...a feature I've learned to live without. Xinerama does seem to be a bit faster than having 2 instances of x running, but on my althonxp 2200+ it's hardly noticeable. :D
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, beastmaster....nice sig. I am happy to report that I have my mx700 tamed as well :lol:
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everyone,
just to throw in my 2 cents here again,

first try to make it work in ati supplied driver first, and see if you can get either dualie or biggie mode to work, some tips, use lower horizontal sync and vertical sync, and try them with lower resolutions.
there is one last option just before you finish the fglrxconf, i think it's the one that ask about "graphic driver support's operation, pick 2, compatible operation" . with lower resolution and all those, you will know for sure they do get to work in X. rename XF86config-4 to XF86config (might not make a different..), now you know it works, then just adjust the resolution(s) up a bit and see... in my case I have 1280x1024 (biggie mode) with no problem.

if that still doesn't work, try with my config file from the previous post.

ok and then if all those fail, try with the ximerama method...
(which I have no experience with it yet...)

really though, I had a smooth ride with this ati 9800 card a few days ago in less than 3 hours, played ut2004demo with it too, was good, but ET crashed ( maybe it doesnt like big screen)
I can pick up dual mode and big desktop mode without a problem too. the only thing that I am concerned is my monitors' resolutions and refreshrate under big desktop mode... dont know if they are consistenent.. (so i may give xinerama a try and tell you guys how it is...)
other that that I'm very happy with it, amazingly clear and high resoltion (some side effect just that most texts are too small 8O, so I have to adjust them) it's even clearer than in windows xp's 1280x1024 rate thingy, I may post some of my screenie here later,
:D alright now, hope this bit of info may help. :D

Quote:

YopWongSapn
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:09 pm Post subject:
By the way, beastmaster....nice sig. I am happy to report that I have my mx700 tamed as well :lol:

eh, did you read the definitive MX700 Howto https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=178733
8) 8) :lol: :lol:[/quote]
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running in dual-head setup; however, I have 2 problems:

* mplayer won't play via XVideo anymore... xvinfo tells me indeed:
Code:
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 no adaptors present
screen #1
 no adaptors present

however, X tells me
Code:
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

second problem:
mozilla firefox can only be started on one of the two screens... It it's open on nr1; and I try to open it on nr2, I only get another instance on nr1...
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
eh, did you read the definitive MX700 Howto https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=178733
8) 8) :lol: :lol:

No, I actually found another how-to in the forums, although I can't seem to find it now....anyway, I had to do a little tweaking in /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome to get imwheel to start for all users...but that's about it. :D
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielchiano wrote:
second problem:
mozilla firefox can only be started on one of the two screens... It it's open on nr1; and I try to open it on nr2, I only get another instance on nr1...

Can't help ya with problem #1, but I've have #2 happen to me. In kde-3.x and Gnome-2.4, I've noticed that the WMs don't seem to recognize the second display while opening apps. Although I don't have a solution for you, I do have a half-assed workaround. I usually just (in Gnome) do the Actions->Run application... for programs that do that. I was never able to reproduce this error consistently, as sometimes it would work and sometimes it didn't. I recently upgraded to Gnome-2.6, and have yet to have the same errors.

It wouldn't hurt to report this to bugzilla...I haven't deemed it important enough to go through the tedious process of reporting.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether this is a bug in gnome/kde, xfree/xorg, or the ati-drivers, so if you do report a bug you may want to research it further first. :)
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielchiano wrote:
I'm currently running in dual-head setup; however, I have 2 problems:

* mplayer won't play via XVideo anymore... xvinfo tells me indeed:
Code:
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 no adaptors present
screen #1
 no adaptors present

however, X tells me
Code:
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

Let me guess. You use xorg?
I have the same setup and had the same problem. It seems to be an xorg bug with xv.
You have two basic opportunities:

1) Live with having no xv (you can force mplayer to use a different output method via "-vo")
2) Live without 3D Hardware accelleration (that's what I'm doing.)
The "radeon" Kernel Driver and the "radeon" Xorg Driver support 2D
accelleration and that's what's most important to me.

I heard that a current cvs snapshot of xorg fixed the xv issue, so it's just a matter of time till I can use the fglrx driver again.

My Specs:
Ati Radeon 9600 Pro
2x 21" CRT Displays, both at 1280x1024x32@85Hz (Xinerama)
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
xorg-x11-6.7.0
my xorg.conf

I hope I helped you solve something.
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielchiano wrote:

second problem:

The problem is, that firefox (like all Mozilla.org products) just allows one running instance per profile. Running on a different screen is considered as another instance by mozilla, so it refuses to run (to protect the integrity of the profile).

In you firefox profile (~/.phoenix/default/RANDOMLETTERS.slt/) there is a file called "lock" that exists if Mozilla is running. You could write a script that deletes it and maybe that will enable you to run mozilla on both displays.

Sorry that I'm of no real help here but I'm to bad in bash scripting to write something for you :(
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teetante wrote:

Let me guess. You use xorg?

i don't know.... but I guess not: I'm using:
Code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATI Radeon connector 0"
    Driver                              "fglrx"
# === disable PnP Monitor  ===
    #Option                              "NoDDC"
# === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
    Option "no_accel"                   "no"
    Option "no_dri"                     "no"
# === FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ===
# === Screen Management ===
    Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000"
    Option "MonitorLayout"              "AUTO, AUTO"
    Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "off"
#    Option "HSync2"                     "31.5 - 60.0"
#    Option "VRefresh2"                  "60 - 85"
    Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
# === TV-out Management ===
    Option "NoTV"                       "yes"     
    Option "TVStandard"                 "NTSC-M"     
    Option "TVHSizeAdj"                 "0"     
    Option "TVVSizeAdj"                 "0"     
    Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "0"     
    Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"     
    Option "TVHStartAdj"                "0"     
    Option "TVColorAdj"                 "0"     
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"
# === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
    Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000000"
# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
# === OpenGL Overlay ===
# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
#       will be disabled automatically
    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
# === Center Mode (Laptops only) ===
    Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
# === Pseudo Color Visuals (8-bit visuals) ===
    Option "PseudoColorVisuals"         "off"
# === QBS Management ===
    Option "Stereo"                     "off"
    Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
# === FSAA Management ===
    Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
    Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
# === Misc Options ===
    Option "UseFastTLS"                 "0"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "yes"
    Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=4e48
    Screen 0
EndSection

but you're right about the fact that I both want xv and 3D... I could live without XV, but I havn't found an output for mplayer which does the same (allow scalable window, as wel larger as smaller then original, and do fullscreen in reasonable quality). So if you tell me what to chose...
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielchiano, did you manage to get dual-monitor setting to work in xinerama?
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
nielchiano, did you manage to get dual-monitor setting to work in xinerama?

nope... well, I managed to get Xinerama working, but as stated above, I guess that somthing is sending the wrong franebuffer to the second monitor....
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see...
Now I think it's just "safer" to stay with ati's dual monitor mode ... :roll:

I don't have the xv program, so I dont know how it will turn out... ( compiling big program takes time :P, will test it later today, and let you know)
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm planning to emerge mplayer too :)
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently running in dual-setup; but with some problems (as stated above too):

* mozilla will only work on just one of the monitors (the one first started)
* XV doesn't work...; well actualy: I can't get mplayer to work on a scalable window which does also full-screen

still unsolved
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

mozilla will only work on just one of the monitors (the one first started)

can you elaborate a little bit more about that?
you meant you can't use mozilla on second screen ?
nielchiano
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to explain:

mozilla can be started on either of the two screens; however if it's started on screen A (can be 1 or 2) and you'll try to start another instance on screen B that will fail: he will create an extra window on A.

so you can use it on both monitors, but not at the same time...

That's the scenario on my computer with Mozilla-firefox (not the complete mozilla-suite)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: