had installed kde before xfree86
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: had installed kde before xfree86 Reply with quote

:cry: I made some mistake here. I came to Chapter 11 (finalizing gentoo installation) and had try to install kde without installing xfree86 and etc as described by Gentoo Desktop guide. So i was gettin a number of !! invalid binary packages. Obviously something was wrong.

So i went to read the guide and did a emerge sync. Getting some error too which was probably due to what i did earlier. Anyway to fix or reverse this? Does 'fixpackages' will work in this case?

thanks.

Ant
Mikessu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post errors that you got. It's easier to help you then.

Can you unmerge those installs? What does it say if you try to install xfree86 now?
What packages seems to be installed currently?

Code:
emerge -v gentoolkit
qpkg -I
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember those errors. saw a bunch that says "!!invalid binary packages".

i had used the following line earlier before applying xfree86 or whatever that was described in the Gentoo Desktop Guide. I didn't use GRP either when installing Gentoo Kernel.
Code:
# USE="bindist" emerge --usepkg kde

and I think i used ctrl-c or ctrl-x to halt the process when i realised that i was going the wrong way. Did it install something in the process?

Not sure what those codes meant, but i ran it anyway. Noticed a number of lines that says "!empty dir /usr" etc for example.

>>> original instance of package unmerged safely
>>> app-portage/gentookit-0.2.0_pre8 merged
>>> clean: no packages selected for removal
>>> auto-cleaning packages ...
>>> no outdated packages were found on your system

Had no idea what it means though. :?

I also noticed that I can't get back to /boot/grub/grub.conf. It's missing and I can't edit and save a new copy too. more :?

TIA
Ant
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonywong wrote:
I don't remember those errors. saw a bunch that says "!!invalid binary packages".

i had used the following line earlier before applying xfree86 or whatever that was described in the Gentoo Desktop Guide. I didn't use GRP either when installing Gentoo Kernel.
Code:
# USE="bindist" emerge --usepkg kde

and I think i used ctrl-c or ctrl-x to halt the process when i realised that i was going the wrong way. Did it install something in the process?

Not sure what those codes meant, but i ran it anyway. Noticed a number of lines that says "!empty dir /usr" etc for example.

>>> original instance of package unmerged safely
>>> app-portage/gentookit-0.2.0_pre8 merged
>>> clean: no packages selected for removal
>>> auto-cleaning packages ...
>>> no outdated packages were found on your system

Had no idea what it means though. :?

Don't know exactly what went wrong, but I think you did an emerge sync and then tried to install binary packages. Those were not the same versions that portage knows, so you got the error (my guess, 'm not sure about this).
Anyway, you should be able to do emerge kde and it should get the kde packages and xfree as well and start compiling it all. If you want binary packages use emerge -k kde. That will tell emerge to try and find binary packages first.

Quote:
I also noticed that I can't get back to /boot/grub/grub.conf. It's missing and I can't edit and save a new copy too. more
This is probably because you use a boot partition and it is not mounted automatically on boot. Mount it manually with "mount /boot"

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: