mplayerplug-in broken ...again.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: mplayerplug-in broken ...again. Reply with quote

Anyone any idea waht this mess is about.

I did have mplayer working beautifully for a couple of days.

This is getting tiring.

Thanks for any help, Gentree. 8)

Code:
(process:10351): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 819 (g_object_new): assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
/usr/lib/opera/plugins/operamotifwrapper: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

(process:29058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2253: initialization assertion failed, use g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:29058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2253: initialization assertion failed, use g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:29058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gtype.c: line 2319 (g_type_add_interface_static): assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(process:29058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 819 (g_object_new): assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

Code:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre4 

bash-2.05b# emp !$plug-in
emp mplayerplug-in

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

[ebuild   R   ] net-www/mplayerplug-in-2.60 

SpektrX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: mplayerplug-in broken ...again. Reply with quote

Are you by chance trying to use mplayerplug-in with Opera?

Gentree wrote:
Anyone any idea waht this mess is about.

I did have mplayer working beautifully for a couple of days.

This is getting tiring.

Thanks for any help, Gentree. 8)

Code:
(process:10351): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 819 (g_object_new): assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
/usr/lib/opera/plugins/operamotifwrapper: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

(process:29058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gtype.c: line 2319 (g_type_add_interface_static): assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(process:29058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 819 (g_object_new): assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

Code:

[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre4 

bash-2.05b# emp !$plug-in
emp mplayerplug-in

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

[ebuild   R   ] net-www/mplayerplug-in-2.60 

Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep , you guessed it.

This thread is a bit old and I have updated both opera and mplayer since but basically mplayer still does not work with opera.

It seems OK with mozilla now.

Thanks for the reply. 8)
SpektrX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yea it's tough to get to work with Opera. If you really do want it to work, do as follows:

Grab Opera 7.51
Grab newest mplayerplug-in (2.60) source from the site (not emerge)
Manually compile source code for mplayerplug-in, as follows

Code:

./configure --enable-x && make

Next, opera requires libxpcom.so library from mozilla or firefox (same deal)
So...
Code:

cp /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/libxpcom.so /opt/opera/lib/opera/7.51-20040602.5/

not those directories could be a tad different, but if you have the newest of both and are on gentoo they should be reasonably accurate.

Finally, just copy the 2 compiled plugin files to your chosen plugin directory. I personally copied it over to opera's plugin dir

Code:

cp mplayerplug-in.so /opt/opera/lib/plugins/
cp mplayerplug-in.xpt /opt/opera/lib/plugins/

Annd it'll work, albeit without nice GTK/2 control buttons for you.

That's all there is to it! (I wish someone hada told me how to do it like this when I first started trying!!)

Gentree wrote:
Yep , you guessed it.

This thread is a bit old and I have updated both opera and mplayer since but basically mplayer still does not work with opera.

It seems OK with mozilla now.

Thanks for the reply. 8)
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpektrX thanks man been trying to get the mplayer plugin working form months.

my list of reasons to keep windows is getting shorter now.
SpektrX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I try to help where I can :)

Naib wrote:
SpektrX thanks man been trying to get the mplayer plugin working form months.

my list of reasons to keep windows is getting shorter now.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post.

I already have Opera 7.51 and mplayerplug-in 2.60 is currently available in portage as ~x86 unstable so I had that as well

Code:
cp /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/libxpcom.so /opt/opera/lib/opera/7.51-20040602.5/
OK

It seems that next file you indicate is in mozilla/plugins

Code:
cp mplayerplug-in.so /opt/opera/lib/plugins/
OK

Final step:
Code:

I dont have that file!?

any ideas?

Thx 8)
SpektrX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to actually download mplayerplug-in source from the homepage and compile it yourself as I showed above (because I have no idea where portage puts that file, it might just delete it)...dont worry it's a quick and easy compile. You'll find mplayerplug-in.xpt and .so both in the main directory of mplayerplug-in after the compile. Get it here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mplayerplug-in/mplayerplug-in-2.66.tar.gz?download

Note: this is version 2.66, which is new and fixes some other bugs ;)

Gentree wrote:

Final step:
Code:

I dont have that file!?

any ideas?

Thx 8)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much,

It works....mostly!

The missing file was in /usr/portage/tmp/mplayerplug-in which was where I decompressed the archive to. It may well be in tha equivalent place with the emerge 2.60 but just does not get copied anywhere useful...

I copied the files to /opt/netscape/plugins and opera picked it up next time I reran Opera.

I need to consolidate all these plugins a bit . Opera has at least two different places for its own plugins and some plugins install them selves under mozilla and others under netscape. the plugin path is getting a bit messy. This may account form some problems with Opera plugins running differenct versions of files for the same plugin and screwing up.

The good news is I can now just click on an audio or video mpg and it comes up fine.

A few funnies like after a few runs of audio mgs I just blach screen , not the progress bar, but the sound is still there and video seems to work.

All in all it beats the hell out of copy/pasting file names everywhere like I has to do before .

Thanks again for your help.

8)
SpektrX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no problem. To talk about a few problems:

First, I put all my plugins in /usr/lib/nsbrowser. I just get opera to grab them all from there. However you still need /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins in there to use that libnpp.so and motif wrapper...but just put all your external plugins in one place. I suggest removing all plugin paths from opera, shutting it down, and starting it back up (it'll complain, ignore it), then add the two plugin paths. That will clear the plugin cache that it keeps :)

About the bugs...what I've noticed is that videos play fine the first time around, but you may have problems after that getting it to play, unless you reload/refresh the page. Other than that i've found it works great (sans controls)

Btw, pressing O (that's the letter not the number) will give you an on-screen display, so you can use that instead of a progress bar ;)

Enjoy :)

Gentree wrote:
Thanks very much,

It works....mostly!

The missing file was in /usr/portage/tmp/mplayerplug-in which was where I decompressed the archive to. It may well be in tha equivalent place with the emerge 2.60 but just does not get copied anywhere useful...

I copied the files to /opt/netscape/plugins and opera picked it up next time I reran Opera.

I need to consolidate all these plugins a bit . Opera has at least two different places for its own plugins and some plugins install them selves under mozilla and others under netscape. the plugin path is getting a bit messy. This may account form some problems with Opera plugins running differenct versions of files for the same plugin and screwing up.

The good news is I can now just click on an audio or video mpg and it comes up fine.

A few funnies like after a few runs of audio mgs I just blach screen , not the progress bar, but the sound is still there and video seems to work.

All in all it beats the hell out of copy/pasting file names everywhere like I has to do before .

Thanks again for your help.

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: