View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Testing Xorg-x11 xorg.conf.new giving me blank screen Reply with quote

I'm a newbie with Linux Gentoo and linux in general. I've tried to use the forum search to look for answers but I'm still stuck on what to do next. I had just succesfully compiled 2 sets of kernel (2.4.25-gentoo-r1) and 2.6.5-gentoo-r1) Had used the later one(2.6.x kernel) to emerge xorg-x11 after reading the 11 Chapters to install Gentoo.

When i came to the step to test x-windows, using 'Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new' command, i get a blank screen.

I noticed that after using ctrl-alt-backspace to kill the X, a message that says

Quote:
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!

After reading some threads, some had seemed to suggest to emerge corefonts. So i did - but it did not solve the above problem.

How should I go about to fix this? need some good pointers.

Thanks!

-ant-
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit your Font-section properly.
all fonts are stored in /usr/share/fonts/, so check your paths.
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops .. i made a blind copy and paste. It should have been

Quote:
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

When you say editing the Font section, I'm assuming you mean the Section "Files" of xorg.conf.new file. It says

Quote:

FontPath="/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath="/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath="/usr/share/fonts/CID/"

I read something about symlink (i'm still unsure what symlink does except for linking a path to another path). Would that help?

Thanks

-ant-[/quote]
az_zel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is sticky in the AMD64 forums (Xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!!) which should give you some information about Xorg. I myself had the fonts problem. I was able to fix one of them (Type 1), but just ended commenting the others out. It seems that you have to include packages which include the delinquent fonts.

The final step is to simply copy the file into the /etc/X11/ folder. Try that and see what happens.
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have read earlier about the AMD64 problem you mentioned. Anyway, i had installed Gentoo on an old Celeron 466MHz machine. I had commented the three lines in xorg.conf.new with # (assumed that this was the comment char in this file type). X did not load still.

Checked the Xorg.0.log as well. No errors, but seem to have 3 warning messages that I had noticed in the log.
- Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (no such file or directory)
- System lacks support of changing MTRRs
- Framebuffer allocation failed

Other than the above, most of the content of the log indicates its' either information or load from config.

Still trying to figure out,
-ant-
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going anywhere with this blank screen. Am I suppose to see something when i ran the test on /root/xorg.conf.new? I'm pretty much stucked cos i don't know much about linux. Help!!
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get a mouse cursor? If so, then your config is good, and you can carry on. If not you may have to post your xorg.conf, so we can see what might be wrong.
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm .. how do i copy the xorg.conf.new file from the Gentoo Linux box to another running Win XP? I'm using WinXP to access the Web and this forum. My Gentoo is pretty new; no email clients, no KDE and no Samba. Bare minimum to say the least.
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ran the test using the following code

Code:
Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new

I get a blank screen. No mouse, just pitch dark. The only thing that responded was the ctrl-alt-backspace to kill em.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi anthony, you mentioned something about lacking mtrr support in your Xorg.log.0. did you enable mtrr support in your kernel? if not, do that, you should find it under "Processor type and features". i think mtrr is needed by nvidia and probably others.

also, you could try to use the command "xorgconfig" which will ask you several questions about your video hardware, mouse, keyboard and stuff. if you enter everything correctly there X should work flawlessly.

as far as i know, the fonts "problem" is not really one. X says it can't find the given font paths, and removes them from the list, so it doesn't care about them anymore. but i could be wrong, so you'd better try to fix that too.

tom
anthonywong
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey tom! :D

had included the MTRR support and rebuilt my kernel. For a moment i thought X was working as it boots into the xorg login screen. As i login, it says something about sessionblahblah and two clickable buttons (failsafe and cancel) - something to that effect. Mouse is working perfectly fine. After clicking on the buttons, nothing seems to appear (had no idea what am I suppose to see actually). Again tried the following code

Code:

Xorg -configure
Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new

Blank screen again. I dread to use xorgconfig cos i don't know much about the hardware. It's an old Gateway Profile system (pretty much like a laptop-desktop sort). Am gonna try to download Knoppix. Should be ready in a shortwhile and hopefully i could access the xorg.conf.new and post it from there.

The problem is that i'm still feeling my way through. Don't know much about linux to figure out how to go about fixing things. :? Glad that you guys out there are helping me out.
az_zel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the questions from the xconfigure can be answered by using a Knoppix CD. When you boot from it, you get a very handy description of your hardware, including the V and H sync speeds of your monitor, as well as the modules that you h/w is using.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: