Mythtv with PVR250 - Just Static
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwayzamd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Mythtv with PVR250 - Just Static Reply with quote

Hey thanks for taking the time to read this post. Normally I don't care to post since I can usually find the answer I'm after simply by reading, but now I am at an end.

I have Mythtv 0.15.1 up with my PVR250 card somewhat working. I followed the methods described in the other threads here to get the card going. The data-direct service is working, I get my listings just fine. What happens is that when I tune in to watch TV, all I get is static for a picture, the same static that you see when the cable goes out, or no calbe is connected, the grey static. I know the card is getting a good signal from the coax I've fed it, I gave it a shot in Winblows without a hitch. I have tried chaning the frequency maps from us-cable to us-cable-hrs. I will later try us-brdcst. I just don't get why it's not tuning in the channels... Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any files or output, please just let me know.

T.J.
alwayzamd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

I think I may have gained some ground today, but not much. Just a little more info. I had followed the guide from http://wopr.yi.org/mythtv.html and because the 2.4 patch for ivtv is empty (how nice ;-) ), I went down to gentoo dev sources 2.6.3. Patched and built ivtv, it worked. Except only static in the picture as said above. Dmesg reports something odd, and it may be related to my tuner woes:

Code:
Jun  2 17:04:35 familyroom tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
Jun  2 17:04:35 familyroom tuner: type forced to 2 (Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and compatibles)) [insmod]
Jun  2 17:04:35 familyroom tuner: type already set (2)
Jun  2 17:04:35 familyroom tuner: Huh? tv_set is NULL?

What do you suppose this tv_set NULL business is? I'll keep googling.
Thanks for any input,
T.J.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you set your tuner for your PVR-250 according to the ivtv FAQ? Specifically, after installing the ivtv driver and modprobing the ivtv module, do this:
Code:

test_ioctl -u 0x3000
test_ioctl -p 4
test_ioctl -f width=720,height=480

The first line sets your video standard to NTSC. The second line sets the tuner input. Finally, the third line sets the resolution. If you use PAL, a different video input (e.g. composite or s-video), or use a different resolution (e.g. PAL is 720x576), then set them accordingly.

Do a test:
Code:
cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg

Does it look right now? If not, try changing tuner inputs. Also helpful is the ptune.pl script; I think Gentoo puts it under /usr/bin. If you think you have the tuner set right, try changing channels:

Code:
ptune.pl 10

Your cable provider didn't shut you off for non-payment, right? :wink:
alwayzamd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: hmm... Reply with quote

Ya, I have been thorugh all of those steps... just fuzz.

So, I gave up on kernel 2.6 support. It just isn't time yet. After switching to gentoo-sources, and building ivtv, I now have a picture!! YAY! But now I am having trouble with the remote. I will need some more time to play around. I'm not quite sure whats even wrong yet. When I get some more info on it, or if I can't figure it out, I'll post again. Thanks for your reply.

T.J.
alwayzamd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: hmm... Reply with quote

Double post sorry...
alwayzamd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: FIXED Reply with quote

OK... I finally got it working, wow, what a project. There is some more stuff to clean up, like remote usage in Xine and stuff, but I think I will get that working. When I have time (I am taking some summer classes) I will do a write up of how I got it working. Mythtv is great, when it works ;-).

T.J.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a journey to get it working. I will say though that I've got several boxes working with 2.6 kernels. Did you emerge ivtv from portage or install from a source tarball downloaded from sourceforge? If the latter, you have to do some patching that isn't (loudly) documented.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: