Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help,2 KDE problems: cut-off menu, and missing screensavers.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadatajs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Help,2 KDE problems: cut-off menu, and missing screensavers. Reply with quote

I recently emerged KDE 3.2.2 and didn't have any problems for about 2 days. Then, I discovered a patch to add window shadows. I applied it, rebuilt kdebase and kdelibs and all was dandy.

I noticed that I no longer had screensavers listed in Kcontrol. After searching the forum, I tried re-emerging kdeartwork to install them. After that they still did not show up. I tried running kcontrol as root, and they were all there. I then deleted all of my .kde directories to see if I had a setting screwed up somewhere. This didn't fix it either. All it did was cause me 2 hours of work in getting my settings back.

After emerging kdeartwork, I noticed that my menus were all cut off on the right side. I never had this menu problem before I re-emerged kdeartwork.

There were/are no prior versions of KDE on my system, and at the rate this is going, this one won't last long either.

PS. If anyone thinks the window-shadow patches are to blame, I think it's highly unlikely. I applied the same patches to the same exact version of KDE on my laptop, without any problems at all (ie it still "has" screensavers, and the menus aren't all f-ed up).

BTW: Has anybody gotten the rss-glx collection to actually work[sic] with KDE, and not just show up and do nothing?
JelloBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the menus being cut off on the right side. If you play around with the theams, it wlll come back. However, my KDE is so unstable, that it can't last for more then ten min before a hard lock. I think that something in KDE/Portage is borked. There is another thread about KDE problems. I'm going to copy your post into that (hope you don't mind)
Vadatajs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the cross-post. I'm not sure which thread you mean though. Playing with the themes just made kcontrol crash. I think I need to re install the whole thing (ugh).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: