Disable Caps Lock?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamaistres
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Disable Caps Lock? Reply with quote

Is there a way to disable "caps lock" on the keyboard?
lizardloop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try removing the key from the keyboard or possibly remapping the key to something else. I'm not sure if you can remap the caps lock key though.
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think xmodmap manpage had even example on caps lock disabling, that will assumably require X though.
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about turning it into a third Control key? Add in the keyboard section of XF86Config || xorg.conf:
Code:
    Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"

For the console, you'll have to grab the keymap file you're using and edit the references to "clock" to something else, or write your own include file to override it and add it in EXTENDED_KEYMAPS in /etc/rc.conf. The closest premade thing is the "ctrl" extended keymap, which swaps the left ctrl with caps lock and turns the right ctrl into compose.
lamaistres
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmodmap helped me create a custom keymap (really easy) and now the caps lock key is disabled in X by adding the custom keymap to .xinitrc. I haven't finished with my keymap upgrade for the console or the kernel. I'm sort of afraid what may happen, so I'm setting up a test box to compile and run my custom keymap into the kernel.

I want to thank you all for pointing me in the right direction that lead me to custom keymapping (AKA; disable that darn Caps Lock).
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keymaps can be compiled into the kernel? I'll have to check that out--then I wouldn't have to remember that the keyboard is still Qwerty if something major fails during startup and I'm asked for the root password.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: