Some questions for you nice folks...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClumzyKid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Some questions for you nice folks... Reply with quote

Heya,

I'm sorta new to linux... the last time i tried it... well.. hell... you all been through it... and you don't need to hear it again! :) Anyway that was 4 years ago, of which I evidently gave up in the end...

4 years after... I'm interested again... I'm a Win user.. hence a "Win head"... Plus a techie by choice and hobbie...

Running XP at the mo... and got the drive partitioned... and ready to take on another OS... 20gigs = 10gigs for XP + 10gigs for an alternative. Backups done... :D

Now... I've been scanning posts here and there in the forums... and realized Gentoo is one heck of way to get my hands dirty with Linux... and I have enough time now within my hands to give it a shot...

Now I noticed from one post in the forum that it's not a great idea to have 56k modem doing the work... Well, reality has it, we gotta do with what we've got... :) But is it really such a hard case? What I mean is that the tb's are they that big to dl? Or did I miss something...

I was looking at the ftp mirror to see what I needed to dl and saw two dl's that I will need... gentoo-ix86-1.2.iso and stage1-ix86-1.2.tbz2 ... Or did I miss something here... I have an AMD Duron 800mhz box, of which I think the ix86 dl's would be relevent, or not?

Now that was in concern for the installation... but now for the packages... Let me get this straight... The installation would need to dl the packages as well? Or I can dl them at my own time after the installation is finished?

Thanks in advance...
~CK
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packages building requiers downloading the source tarballs of the package and compiling them.

If you wish, you can download source tarballs on a computer with high speed connection to the internet and copy them to /usr/portage/distfiles.

This has been discussed many times before, I'm sure a search in the forums will turn up many threads about it.

And the install on 56k modem is not advised only because of the time it takes to download the source packages (just xfree is more than 60MB IIRC). If you don't mind the long times it shouldn't be a problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: