PowerBook mkofboot worked but reboot skips bootloader
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new2linux45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: PowerBook mkofboot worked but reboot skips bootloader Reply with quote

I'm new to Linux, and seem to have successfully installed Linux, but I cannot get the PowerBook (12" no DVI) to give me a bootloader menu. It boots directly into OS X. Holding the Option key down while booting only gives me the OS X icon (no Linux icon).

I manually configured yaboot.conf, and got "mkofboot -v -b /dev/hda10 -o hd:10" to work.

Here are are the partitions:

/dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple ... 31k Partition map
/dev/hda2 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh ... 28k Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh ... 28k Driver 4.3
/dev/hda4 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh ... 28k Unknown
/dev/hda5 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh ... 28k Unknown
/dev/hda6 Apple_FWDriver Macintosh ... 256k Unknown
/dev/hda7 Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh ... 256k Unknown
/dev/hda8 Apple_Patches Patch Partition ... 256k Unknown
/dev/hda9 Apple_HFS Untitled ... 29.2G HFS
/dev/hda10 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap ... 800k NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda11 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap ... 512M Linux swap
/dev/hda12 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root ... 7.6G Linux native

Here are the uncommented lines from yaboot.conf:

boot=/dev/hda10
device=hd:
partition=12
delay=5
defaultos=macosx
timeout=40
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
fbcolor=white
bgcolor=blue
image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
root=/dev/hda12
sysmap=/boot/System.map
read-only
macosx=/dev/hda9
enablecdboot
enableofboot

Can anyone tell me what's going on, or how I can fix the problem?

FYI, vmlinux is the name I gave the kernel, and System.map is the name I gave the sysmap, during the install process.

new2linux45
jaspal kallar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100 % sure but shouldn't
Code:
/dev/hda10 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap ... 800k NewWorld bootblock
come before any Apple OS type partitions. I think you will have to move /dev/hda10 to somewhere earlier but I can't say for sure since I don't have any of those "FWDriver Macintosh ... 256k Unknown " partitions. You will have to use mac-disk to move the /dev/hda partition. Anyway my mac-fdisk
Code:
mac-fdisk -l /dev/sda
/dev/sda
        #                    type name                  length   base      ( size )  system
dump: name /dev/sda len 8
/dev/sda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/sda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap               1600 @ 157286401 (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/sda3               Apple_HFS Untitled           157286337 @ 64        ( 75.0G)  HFS
/dev/sda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 1048576 @ 157288001 (512.0M)  Linux swap
/dev/sda5         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root                41943040 @ 158336577 ( 20.0G)  Linux native
/dev/sda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home               119893439 @ 200279617 ( 57.2G)  Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=320173056
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Note at /dev/sda2 is where my "Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap" is. I'm sure if you search you will find similar problems and the solutions.
new2linux45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: How to use mac-fdisk to move? Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

How do I move the partition with mac-fdisk? Do I need to reinstall everything all over again?

I think you may be right about the solution, at least.
jaspal kallar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you don't have to reinstall. But you have go through the whole procedure of booting from the live cd again and using mac-fdisk to re-order (see url below for re-ordering advice, post made bu users killfire. I not sure if you haev to reboot but I see now harm in doing this after you have reorder with mac-fdisk) https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=162067&highlight=macfdisk+reorder
and then mouting root proc etc.. chroot:ing ... etc ... and changing your yaboot.conf to reflect the changes you have made with mac-fdisk... unmounting (ie, just follow the manual from the begining... it get's easier. each time you do it :-)

From man "mac-fdisk"
Quote:
The r (reorder) command allows the index number of partitions to be changed. The
index numbers are constrained to be a contiguous sequence. mac-fdisk will enforce
this constraint by recalculating the partition numbers after each insert, delete or
reorder operation. OpenFirmware looks for bootable partitions in the order specified
by the index. The partitions are not moved on the disk. This command takes two arguments,

So do
Code:
mac-fdisk /dev/sda
p
r 10 8
p
w

If you are unsure then don't do the w (write above) but q to test things out first. Also I suggest (note I say suggest !!) move the bootstrap Apple (i.e currently at /dev/hda10) to just before /dev/sda9 (osx or is os 9) i,e to /dev/sda8.

Like I said earlier in this thread I don't know how much these "Apple_Driver43 Macintosh ... " partitions effect my advice since I don't ahve any. Someone else will surely answer this. It's just whether you want to wait or not. Also I think it's good that you go through the wole procedure to get used to it (whilst you wait for a complete answer).
new2linux45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Successfully switched partitions, but now open firmware hang Reply with quote

Thank you again for the instructions. I did that, and got the bootloader menu upon restart. When I chose "l" for GNU/Linux, open firmware starts and I get:

> .... ok
> opening display /pci@f00000000/NVDA,Parent@10/NVDA,Display-B@1.. ok
> copying OF device tree...done
> Calling quiesce...
> returning 0x01400000 from prom_init

I have read some posts that this has something to do with the open firmware PROM, but I 'm not sure. This is way out of my league.

Any ideas?
jaspal kallar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know myself but can you boot into os x? Also what video card have you ? Maybe if you have radeon then you have to include in your kernel:

Code:
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y

Also check that you have in your kernel
Code:
CONFIG_GENERIC_NVRAM=y
CONFIG_PPCBUG_NVRAM=y
CONFIG_NVRAM=y

Really it's just guess work on my part. Perhaps someone else here can add their suggestions!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: