bootmessages to printer with dmesh?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: bootmessages to printer with dmesh? Reply with quote

Hallo,

i have installed gentoo 2004.1 with all the knowledge i could gather in the forum. I was enjoying KDE and toying with portagemaster to help me install more programs, and esearch to see if i got the newest (and stable) build.
Then this happened: i discovered yesterday that my gentoo-sources was not the latest (stablest). So i did everything u all do. But the messages...the messages.....i don't kmow how i landed there but i used dmesg >>boot.messages. Know when i boot...i am staring at a black screen and the messages are rolling from the printer. Well after so many times it starts getting annoying.

can someone help me to get my messages back on the screen and not to the printer? Yes i know i have to install my nvidia card after compiling kernel, but i can't see anything on the black screen. I also tried booting up with the LiveCD without any problem,

Please help if u can , or give me a hint into the forumthreads.

:roll:
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. dmesg >> boot.messages should have written to a file, once. I don't think that's the problem. Then again, I've never heard of the printer being used to output messages! (Not since the introduction of monitors, anyway!) To try to get a prompt back, try booting with vga=normal, anyway.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
gentando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY Maedhros for th quick reply.

I assume the dmesh problem, but the problem started AFTER I did an emerge upgrade on the gentoo-sources. (2.4.25 ) and AFTER i did a clean recompile . When i entered REBOOT the screen garbled ( this never happened before)., i saw the term messages and a strange cursor. I never had my messages printed out on the printer, actually it is the first time the printer worked under linux. Should i change the vga if everything worked perfect before?

:oops:
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you forgot to add the right framebuffer support then the screen might end up garbled. To get a (huge, but) functional display again, try booting with vga=normal. I'm quite confused by the printer thing though!
gentando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay,
gonna try that. I recompiled the kernel again, discovered something in the menuconfig about line-printing to the printer as a console, cleaned that option of course. Maybe i did something wrong when copying the BZImage (possibility mentioned in teh forum), so did that and cp Systemmap too. Same black screen after choosing the gentoo boot (i have a dualboot with windowsXP). By the way the grubscreen is just fine.

Been doing some reading on tty, but can't figure out how to check or change the tty to vc1, i assume that tty is using the printer.

Thanks for the support, i'm gonna solve this thing but i read somewhere that "for Linux you have to be patient, and for Windows you have to be a saint". But i am using both to help me through problems.

:wink:
gentando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

Solved:

1 first if you upgrade your source (i.e. gentoo-sources) u have to change the simlink to the new kernelversion. Check this with
ls -l /usr/src/
remove the oldlink with:
rm /usr/src/linux
maybe it is save to re-emerge your gentoo-sources
then link to the new kernelversion with
ln -s /usr/src/linux-x.x.xx-gentoo-rx /usr/src/linux
(x = numbers of the kernelversion)
then recompile again (follow advises on this forum)
2 in menu config do not enable (!)
Character devices --->
<*> Parallel printer (of course no need to enable if you do not use a parallel printer)
[ ] Support for console on line-printing >>>DO NOT ENABLE (only usefull if you want your bootmessages printed to a paralel printerwhen you got a a black screen)

3 Use of make mrproper and make clean for a clean kernel complie is advisable...check the forum. Use your livecd to boot, mount your gentoo and make the necessary changes mentioned above, exit, unmount and reboot. (all this is covered very well in the forum. Quick searck for the keywords).

Got my screen working again, and loosed the printer-problem.
Everything was still in place : -)
I did not change anything in the grub-config since it is obious that the problem was in the symlink and kernel-options!

leaving this thread[b][/b]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: