View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NegaBenji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Heads up With sbin/lilo Reply with quote

justwakinup wrote:

Code:
 mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

And all was well............

I didn't get a chance to read this entire thread but I sensed some frustration and thought i would save you from the thing that gained me a few gray hairs

I had this exact problem with grub the other day (couldn't see the drive it was running on) and this fixed it right up. No mention of it in the manual though, which is strange. That's the thing about the handbook - it's great when everything's working, but it assumes that you're not going to run into any problems whatsoever. And when you do, it's not a lot of help. Like at the moment, I got grub working and tried to boot my kernel, but it gives me an error about being unable to start an initial console, and to try adding an init= option to my grub.conf. Except the manual only mentioned that for people who used genkernel, so I'm basically lost and confused right now :(
MadDogE134
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgrt... the handbook is pretty much a guide line to go by and by no means exact :)

i have gone over it twice and have made notes on what to do and the variables... but of course, i choose the hard path all the time :) and am trying to install using stage 1

had trouble when i got to 'emerge system'... i thought i had the make.conf correct but maybe not :( it had an error on the second file and reset to prompt... something about the C compiler) so that is what i think... i had the cpu wrong. but at least i am learning :)

please post exactly how make.conf should look with a Celeron 1.7 Pentium 4 class 478 socket, DVD Burner, CDROM and use ALSA. also i prefer to use KDE. i see in the flags that you can choose to add or remove (-gnome -gtk alsa dvd cdr)

since i am using a dual-boot system and i rebooted to windows to search info... seems i cannot 'emerge system' at all now. i take it that once you start the process... you must finish it. i can just start over... again :)
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted mine in its entirety twice today in this forum, so better not do it again.

Got me all the way through K.
MadDogE134
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Posted mine in its entirety twice today in this forum, so better not do it again.

Got me all the way through K.

huh?
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help others, I have already posted my /etc/make.conf, twice today. So to conserve forum bandwidth, I'd better not post again.

Maybe you could search for it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: