Question about cd/dvd burner and permissions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Question about cd/dvd burner and permissions Reply with quote

Hi,

I have read several posts about cdrecord and cdrdao permissions but I stil ldo not understand what the right settings are.

My cd/dvd burner is "/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd" and the owner is "nein" of group "cdrom"

brw------- 1 nein cdrom 22, 0 ene 1 1970 /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

nein is a regular user, is this correct ? should not root be the owner? I am not aware about changing any permissions or ownership of this device. The rest of the links to this device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, /dev/cdrom, etc.. are owned by root.root

Anyway, I still get the k3 warning about root privileges (i do not want to run k3bsetup because I want to make the changes myselft).

When emergeing k3b I saw a message that in a standart gentoo installation everything should be fine if my regular users belonged to cdrw and cdrom groups but in my case it does not seam to be the case (nein belongs to cdrw and cdrom).

any ideas ?
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bad thing is that i cant mount my cdrom and devices, it says only root can do that,.

How do i go about fixin this so that i can load devices under a normal user.. now i can su root and then mount..

Also, the command sudo dosent work it says unknown command..

Bye,
Jazz
In 2010, M$ Windows will be a quantum processing emulation layer for a 128-bit mod of a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
count_zero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the bad thing is that i cant mount my cdrom and devices, it says only root can do that,.

How do i go about fixin this so that i can load devices under a normal user.. now i can su root and then mount..

Also, the command sudo dosent work it says unknown command..

Have you emerged sudo?

Else, you can modify your /etc/fstab: (here's mine)
Code:
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,rw,exec,user             0 0

Note the option "user"--this allows regular users to mount your cd drive.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: