2004.1 new install grub using grub.conf which I can't find
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gphlynch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: 2004.1 new install grub using grub.conf which I can't find Reply with quote

newbie alert...

When I start the machine I have to manually edit the grub commands at the splashscreen (before booting) to these:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.4.25-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda3 ramdisk_size=8192
initrd /initrd-2.4.25-gentoo-r3

Currently it boots as above but without ramdisk_size=8192
which means I get errors and it basically fails.

After my install I looked in /boot for the grub.conf file - and there was NOTHING THERE!! 8O /boot was empty. I re-installed grub (I think) and now have /boot/grub/grub.conf and other files. However the grub at boot up is not looking at the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and using 'locate' I can't find any others.

What do I do?

my 'current' grub.conf:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.25
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.4.25-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda3 ramdisk_size=8192
initrd /initrd-2.4.25-gentoo-r3

my current /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 0
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
etc

Now one thing I have realised (a bit late) is that the fstab file had placeholders when I installed grub (not the physical locations), i.e.
/dev/BOOT /boot ext3....
/dev/ROOT /...

any help appreciated, I would like to be able to fix it rather than have to rebuild it... all part of the learning curve :-?
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2004.1 new install grub using grub.conf which I can't fi Reply with quote

gphlynch wrote:
After my install I looked in /boot for the grub.conf file - and there was NOTHING THERE!! 8O /boot was empty. I re-installed grub (I think) and now have /boot/grub/grub.conf and other files. However the grub at boot up is not looking at the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and using 'locate' I can't find any others.

That's to be expected, because your original files are on the separate file system (or partition if you like) that the guide (rightly) adivses you to create. That file system isn't mounmted by default when normally running the system (because it's not needed - and why provide access to it when there's normally no requirement to do so? :D) As you can see in /etc/fstab,
Code:
/dev/hde1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 2
(this is just my setup - for you it may be /dev/hda1, /dev/sda1, or whatnot). noauto ensures that /boot isn't automatically mounted.
When the /boot file system isn't mounted, anything you've put into /boot resides on the root (/) file system. When you mount it at /boot, anything that was there disappears (until it's unmounted again) and the /boot directory contents is replaced by the contents of the just mounted file system.
My advice is to ensure that /boot is unmounted
Code:
umount /boot
(ignore errors), move whatever you have under /boot to somewhere else, e.g. /root/bootbak
Code:
mkdir /root/bootbak
mv /boot/* /root/bootbak
mv /boot/.??* /root/bootbak

mount the /boot file system
Code:
mount /boot
and modify the files that are now under /boot accordingly. Grub uses the grub.conf located on that (not automatically mounted) file system.
Just rememeber that before you modify anything under /boot, such as editing grub.conf or placing new kernel images there, you have to mount /boot.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
gphlynch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, well that makes sense, many thanks :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: