Gentoo easier than Mandrake 10?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jet Dee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Gentoo easier than Mandrake 10? Reply with quote

Very hard to believe, but I have had so much more trouble using mandrake 10 than gentoo 1.4 ever gave me. Not only is the install process less clear, so it's harder to see what's actually going on behind the scenes, the partitioning system is a mess. The gentoo docs recommened a journalled boot partition of 100 megs. Mandrake autoallocates one that is 20% of your total hard drive space, regardless of how much space you're allocating for linux in a dual boot set up. And the basic install doesn't give you the option to configure a reiser partition, that's only available through another option which is less intelligible.

Now, Mandrake finally installed, I tried getting xmms, xine, mozilla-firefox et gaim installed. First time round these all failed, because mandrake has an uncanny ability to only be able to install apps from it's CD's. Secondly, it seems to think there was a fourth cd, which there certainly was not.

Most of this software installed later on, I create a link to my windows partiition mp3 folder and open xmms to play some music. This crashes. It actually crashes. I can't play music with a music player in linux...

This left me to having to use totem, a video player. Ah well, small inconvenience for now.

Then I went to mozilla's page to get firefox ( i love the mouse gestures). However, I can't even get this to install. Understand I am a relative linux newbie, but having un-tar'd the file, i try to ./configure . This doesn't work. I try to make install. this too fails.

Through rigourous searching I find I need to be logged in as root, and executing the install file from a terminal, which I do.

This manages to install properly, and a firefox window springs open. But then, when I try to get this placed into mandrake's start menu, it cannot find firefox. It found lynx and another browser, but not firefox. by now I am understandably :twisted:

This was the last straw, so I rebooted, XP cd in drive, ran fixmbr, and deleted all my mandrake partitions. I'll take some convincing to foray there again.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be going to gentoo in the meantime either. The pc I use is a family pc, and it's gonna be hard going teaching my family to use and maintain a linux pc themselves (i leave for japan in two months , for the duration of a year, and ssh'ing back into the pc to fix small problems is not very manageable with a 10 hour time difference and no real linux knowhow. )

Shame really. Windows can be a bitch, but it does everything mandrake couldnt . Looks good, is easy to use, plays my music, lets me talk to my friends over msn with a decent GUI, and is easier to navigate IMO.

Sorry for the rant, but I thought it's worth congratulating everyone who gave something to Gentoo. It's probably the best linux distro I've encountered, and the easiest to install and maintain, at least you understand what you're doing thanks to the great documentation. Keep it up!
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like about Gentoo is that it gives me to tools to do things my way. When you use Mandrake, you're working within narrower limits 'cos Mandrake expects you to do things The Mandrake Way. Naturally, it's often easier to do things your way than to do things somebody else's way.
Jet Dee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah, you're right. I just hoped that Mandrake would let me learn linux an easier way, with good documentation/tutorials on how to setup cron jobs and other complex linux things. I reckoned on it being easier than sifting through forum threads, but I guess not.

Damn, this would be a good machine to run Gentoo on as well. Fluxbox would fly,

it's an Athlon XP 2500+ with 1 gig of ddr333 ram.

In fact, if I had my own pc, the only thing holding me back would be linux support for games. I've an ATI radeon, so the situtation doesn't look good on that front.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Dee wrote:
Damn, this would be a good machine to run Gentoo on as well. Fluxbox would fly,

it's an Athlon XP 2500+ with 1 gig of ddr333 ram.

In fact, if I had my own pc, the only thing holding me back would be linux support for games. I've an ATI radeon, so the situtation doesn't look good on that front.

Dude, you could probably get friggin KDE 3.2 to fly on that beast. As for your Radeon; wait a few months. ATI did say they were going to get their shit together.
Jet Dee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Yeah, KDE does look good , but a guy over at my regular discussion board haunt did some really cool things with Flux, so I've got a desire to make it look as good as possible. Eyecandy all the way, I spent enough money on my pc upgrades for a good reason :D
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
What I like about Gentoo is that it gives me to tools to do things my way. When you use Mandrake, you're working within narrower limits 'cos Mandrake expects you to do things The Mandrake Way. Naturally, it's often easier to do things your way than to do things somebody else's way.

Depends if you know what you want. Most people don't when it comes to computers, other than for it to work. As a test I just said to my girlfriend, "did you know that Mandrake makes the boot partition use 20% of the space of the harddrive." I'm sure you can imagine how vacuous the look was.

Actually, to be fair, she did ask if my harddrive had plenty of space left. And it does. In fact, most computers have such oversized harddrives for most users requirements. It's not until we start using our computers as total media terminals that anything more than 40gigs is going to be needed by somebody who doesn't know how to download everything.

So, whilst it's a bad thing that Mandrake does that, it doesn't affect how easy Mandrake is for people who don't really care about such inefficient use of their harddrive.

The conclusion; Gentoo is easier for the semi-to-full power user. ;)

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i was reading this post, i was thinking it might be a duplicate of somehting i might have wrote!

i'm fairly sure there is a 4th cd that contains commercial apps and such. probably star office 7 which was (is?) available with commercial purchases of the distro.

most of the issues seem to be linux issues overall -- like the firefox thing. it takes a good deal of time to learn linux, especially if you get hardware issues...
djh-world
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandrake holds your hand, it spoon-feeds you linux in patronising chunks.

Just like Windows.
Professor Frink
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamezfreakuk wrote:
Mandrake holds your hand, it spoon-feeds you linux in patronising chunks.

Just like Windows.

Windows feeds me linux?

Anyway, Gentoo is easier when you know what you're doing because it lets you do what you want to do. But if you don't know what you're doing it still lets you do what you want to do....aka fsck everything up.
"You've got to listen to me. Elementary chaos theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok in an orgy of blood, and kicking and the biting with the metal teeth and the hurting and shoving."
yemu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to show Linux to one of my Friends and decided to give him Mandrake. It was a bad idea. Actually i don't know how this distribution may work well. all these stupid automagic tools, which do everything wrong. I wasn't able to make modem, printer and digital camera to work...he was very dissapointed....after this I decided to show him Gentoo - the linux distribution that really works well :-) I don't know other linux distros besides gentoo and mandrake, and I must say that Mandrake is like windows (tries to do everything automatically and spoils everything).
so if you have a choice: do not use mandrake
cheers
yemu

ps. i've ben using mandrake for a couple of years before i discovered the beautiful world of gentoo :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: