is there a script to add amd64 to all package keywords
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: is there a script to add amd64 to all package keywords Reply with quote

it would be nice to not have to do it manually. It could also show the amd64 team that it could be done w/o too much more. I asked them to add ~amd64 to all packages and then change it to -amd64 if they get reports of breakage. Un fortunately they said it would be too much work.

I think it could be done with sed somehow, but i dont know how to use it. Basikley it should find every package with a line that starts with KEYWORDS=" and has x86 on that line, but not amd64. That doesnt seem too complex to me, but like i said I dont know sed 8).
Pythagoras1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could add x86 and ~x86 to your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
then someone could post which applications do work on amd64 and after that these ebuilds should get the ~amd64 certificate. :P
C.W.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I asked them to add ~amd64 to all packages and then change it to -amd64 if they get reports of breakage.

I don't think it's a good idea. How could you know the app will work? An the people come here complaining if it doesn't. If someone needs a masked app (like I did with squid) he can edit the ebuild. Not much hassle.

For me it's better to unmask some apps that might work and try and report if they work, than to find out that half of my just emerged stuff won't work.

Of course it can be done with a script. They just didn't want to explain it to you why they won't do it. :P

Chris
Kugelfang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pythagoras1: Really, REALLY bad idea...
Don't ever put anything else in your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS than your ${ARCH}. So on amd64, it is amd64 and ~amd64, nothing else.

There a patches and configure options that depend on ${ARCHS}. So an ebuild containing

Code:

KEYWORDS="~x86 amd64"
use x86 && epatch x86-patch
use amd64 && epatch amd64-patch

would applay both patches if you do
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge <theebuild>

You wouldn't put "ppc" or "s390" in your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS either ? [ I hope so at least :P ]
kugelfang@gentoo.org
Pythagoras1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, thanks for that information. i forgot that there are ebuilds with (~)amd64 too :roll:

however, in this case it would make more sense to apply these flags on the command line if an ebuild is masked for amd64.
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this bash script to unmask packages in /usr/portage :
Code:
#! /bin/bash
find /usr/portage/ -iname "$1*.ebuild" -exec ekeyword ~amd64 {} \;

(I found it on the forums a while back). You just type "./script.sh ebuild-name" and it will find all the ebuilds that match ebuild-name and add ~amd64 to their KEYWORDS. The ekeyword program (app-portage/gentoolkit-dev) is needed for this script.
MarkKikken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Greate Idea (tm) ! (?) Reply with quote

Well, so far i've done multiple things to get masked apps working on my AMD64 system. I've put stuff in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and edited the portage tree. The first feels too "ad-hoc" to me and the second gives me the feeling I'm messing my system up (not entirely untrue).

Anyway, I think the portage system can be improved here. Maybe somewhere in portage (I'm no expert on how the portage system works) installed packeges should be able to have a "testing"-flag aciociated with them. That way portage will know what you're doing with those packages. At first it will probably do nothing with this data, but it could be very useful.
For example: if options could be added to emerge, so that you can specify if it is allowed to put packages in "testing" mode. Or only do this with masked packages, or only if otherwise dependancies cannot be resolved. Or it could ask the user in that case. And since it stores wich packages are being tested, you could even allow to use testing only for packages that a package that's already being tested depends on.

Ok to sum it up: store if something unstable is being tested and add lots of options to emerge to make emerge understand exactly what packages you want to test.

But there is more. Once you have this data, a user could generate reports from this data. Things like: What packages have been tested? Did the package compile? Was it removed afterwards (so, it probably didn't work)? One could even store bug-reports with this data and include them in the report.
The user could then submit these reports to the Gentoo cummunity, thereby informing the community members of more package-stability statistics. I agree, this should never, ever, be automated, to protect the user's privacy. The user has to run the program himself and publish the data himself.
The big advantage would simply be that it is easy to post data. I've tested quite a few packages on my amd64. But I haven't kept track of everything that worked and didn't work. Though I would like to inform the community of my findings, that would just be too much work. With a system like i've described here, it would be easy.

So, what do you think of it?
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Greate Idea (tm) ! (?) Reply with quote

MarkKikken wrote:

Anyway, I think the portage system can be improved here. Maybe somewhere in portage (I'm no expert on how the portage system works) installed packeges should be able to have a "testing"-flag aciociated with them. That way portage will know what you're doing with those packages. At first it will probably do nothing with this data, but it could be very useful.
For example: if options could be added to emerge, so that you can specify if it is allowed to put packages in "testing" mode. Or only do this with masked packages, or only if otherwise dependancies cannot be resolved. Or it could ask the user in that case. And since it stores wich packages are being tested, you could even allow to use testing only for packages that a package that's already being tested depends on.

Was this sarcasm? I was under the impression that ~arch ment testing -arch ment not for an arch, and package.mask was for b0rked programs and things like alpha/beta versions.

I know that this isnt the way it always works (some snapshot/testing versions of gcc and glibc got -x86 and package.mask) but there is no reason to "reinvent the wheel" if we already have the ionfrastucture in place.

However I do think that all packages should have all keywords. If a packages doent work on an arch it shopuld get a -. if the devs dont know f it will work it should get a ~. THere should never be a missing arch. This policy will make it really easy to add new archs; just add ~arch to all packages excpet those that are arch specific, like ppc-sources.

Also, perhas rename it to ACCEPT_ARCH as that is a more fitting desription.

I realise that posting here has no effect, but i dont know where to post this. do you thinl this should become a GELP?
MarkKikken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked for replies here for a while, but back then I was serious about this. BTW: What do you mean by GELP?

But now I've found out that the /etc/portage/packages.keywords file basicly does what I was proposing here: A list of packages that are being tested on the system. What portage lacks is an easy way for users to report successes or faillures with certain packages on certain architectures. I've found quite a number of packages that work (to some extend) on amd64, but have not been marked accordingly. Better feedback from users could improve the situation.

If you put them all in packages.keywords, you will have a list of them at hand whenever you need it. However, you will still have to find out what version of the package is installed and if it runs stable. Portage should be able to log somewhere if it compiled cleanly. A report of the installed versions should be possible to produce as well. Furthermore, bug-tracking tools could be more tightly integrated with the system, so in the event of a crash the user can report this.
The basic idea is: make it easier for users to contribute stability information.

BTW: why is the /etc/portage/packages.keywords file not present by default?
bverheg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should have been GLEP.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/

RedBeard0531: I too think there should be a keyword for each ARCH in each ebuild. Either ARCH, ~ARCH or -ARCH. Maybe you should enter a GLEP about it.

MarkKikken: I agree. I have successfully emerged lots of packages after adding ~amd64 keyword. On some occasions I have reported this on bugzilla, but many times I just didn't bother because of the tedious work involved.
It would be nice to have a simple 'report-succesful-emerge' command doing this with less hassle.
Kow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldnt want to add anything x86 to accept keywords - some packages amd64 and x86 completely change things ... *cough java.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: