Linux needs a diet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Linux needs a diet? Reply with quote

Interesting article from OS news:

Quote:
Consider these memory requirements for Fedora Core 2, as specified by Red Hat: Minimum for graphical: 192MB and Recommended for graphical: 256MB. Does that sound any alarm bells with you? 192MB minimum? I've been running Linux for five years (and am a huge supporter), and have plenty of experience with Windows, Mac OS X and others. And those numbers are shocking -- severely so. No other general-purpose OS in existence has such high requirements. Linux is getting very fat.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7324

Read the whole article, there are some good points in there.

Oh, and no need to spam the comments section about how l33t Gentoo is, people have already done so :( $gentoo.users.rep--
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about this article. I have dual boot on my machine and I find WinXP takes a long time to log in a user cause it has to load all sorts of apps on startup (antivirus, windows update, etc).

I find that in general, my system runs then same in WinXP or KDE. My "feeling" is that Linux runs smoother when I have lots of apps open, which is probably due to superior mem management.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person that wrote that might have used Linux for a while, but obviously isn't aware that there is a lot more than Red Hat out there and Linux runs nice on older machines. I mean, since when was 192mb of RAM a lot? :roll:

I suppose I just really can't see the point.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Fedora Core comes with GNOME 2.6 by default, does it not? That easily gobbles up 100-200mb of ram so, yeah, 256mb is probably a minimum if you plan on doing anything at all with the platform.

I'm sure KDE3 is about the same, although I haven't played with the environment enough to really be able to get a grasp on its memory usage.

But saying "Linux" needs a diet is just silly. If Linux is bloated because of userspace programs such as GNOME or Evolution, then so is every other *nix that runs these programs.

And comparing GNOME 2.6 to BeOS is just unfair. Be died like, what, two years ago? A year or so after the release of BeOS5 PE? True, BeOS was quite responsive for what little I've used it, but that's the point -- there was very little I could do with it. I remember having a GeForce card of some sort and I couldn't even get drivers for that (obviously).

Actually.. I'm mistaken, doing a little research, I found out about an article on pcworld about FreeBe dated 04/10/2000! Why the hell is this guy comparing a four year old OS (as good as it could have been) to the release of a DE that has only been out a few months? I always thought it was a given that things get larger as they go on, not smaller.

And I definitely don't think XP is usable with 128mb of ram, especially if he hasn't tweaked it at all to get rid of unneeded services or eyecandy. That's no different from using a WM instead of a fullblown DE.
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
The person that wrote that might have used Linux for a while, but obviously isn't aware that there is a lot more than Red Hat out there and Linux runs nice on older machines. I mean, since when was 192mb of RAM a lot? :roll:

I suppose I just really can't see the point.

Did you even read the article?
Quote:
And I couldn't tell him to grudgingly install Slackware, Debian or Gentoo; they may run a bit faster, but they're not really suitable for newcomers.

The point of the piece is that GNU/Linux, while it used to be a lean, mean machine that could run happily on lesser/older kit, is now even more resource hungry than Windows XP. My laptop's not that old, nor cheap, but its only got 128mb.

From the second page (did you notice there was one?):
Quote:
But let's think about some of the real-world implications of Linux's bloat. Around the world in thousands of companies are millions upon millions of Win98 and WinNT4 systems. These boxes are being prepared for retirement as Microsoft ends the lifespan for the OSes, and this should be a wonderful opportunity for Linux. Imagine if Linux vendors and advocates could go into businesses and say: "Don't throw out those Win98 and NT4 boxes, and don't spend vast amounts of money on Win2k/XP. Put Linux on instead and save time and money!".

But that opportunity has been destroyed. The average Win98 and NT4 box has 32 or 64M of RAM and CPUs in the range of 300 - 500 MHz -- in other words, entirely unsuitable for modern desktop Linux distros. This gigantic market, so full of potential to spread Linux adoption and curb the Microsoft monopoly, has been eliminated by the massive bloat.

Yes, there are more minimal choices for apps and systems that can help, but the vast majority of Linux software is far less streamlined than it could and should be. You shouldn't have to be an expert to run a system on yesterday's kit.

Still, don't want to start a huge row, just thought it was an interesting article :)
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looking at Microsoft's technical solution to those problems, namely tying the kernel and userland tightly together, with all the security risks and ugly hacks that brings with it I must say I prefer using a bit more ram here and there.

Anyways, people are actively profiling GNOME and KDE to find performance bottlenecks, and there's an effort to make valgrind able to test the kernel (I dunno how they plan to do that though).

But yeah we use a bit more ram if you use a big DE like GNOME and KDE, but with that comes the option to replace your webbrowser, use whatever office suit you like. Replace the office suit on Windows and it will be dogslow as well, because of the way Microsoft designs their stuff..

Anyways, RAM is cheap, security and good design isn't.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Off The Wall, please see this topic:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=184039
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: