View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Any FVWM Gurus? Reply with quote

I've started configuring fvwm and have a few questions. I've googled but can't seem to find anything relevent. I currently am using a 4x1 workspace.

[1] I would like to use the wheel on my wheel mouse to switch right and left between virtual desktops like Fluxbox does. What are the commands to put in $HOME/.fvm2rc?

[2] If I have an application open in the leftmost virtual desktop and I am currently in the right most desktop, how can I click on the taskbar entry for that application in the leftmost virtual desktop and get it to open? What are the commands to put in $HOME/.fvm2rc?

[3] How can I stop desktop switching by mousing to the edge? This kind of depends on getting 2 answered though as I need to be able to switch.

TIA. :D
nico--
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any FVWM Gurus? Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to use the wheel on my wheel mouse to switch right and left between virtual desktops like Fluxbox does. What are the commands to put in $HOME/.fvm2rc?

Mouse 4 R A Scroll -100000 0
Mouse 5 R A Scroll 100000 0

Quote:
If I have an application open in the leftmost virtual desktop and I am currently in the right most desktop, how can I click on the taskbar entry for that application in the leftmost virtual desktop and get it to open? What are the commands to put in $HOME/.fvm2rc?

I don't have a taskbar so I use the FvwmPager module for that.

Quote:
How can I stop desktop switching by mousing to the edge? This kind of depends on getting 2 answered though as I need to be able to switch.

These are my settings:

EdgeResistance 15 100
EdgeThickness 0

You should check the man page for those commands, there are a lot of options related to the edge stuff (like desktop switching if you're moving a window).
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nico-- that that answered both [1] and [3] perfectly and I can live with [2]. :D
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you want to do in [2], do you want to move the window from the first desk to the current one? Then you'll need the MoveToDesk function, if it's called without arguments it'll move the window to the current desk...

If you want a windows started on that desk, you'll need StartsOnDesk...

Hope I didn't misunderstand you...

tBD
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply theBlackDragon, it's kind of tough to explain as I don't know all the fvwm lingo. Basically I have 1 virtual desktop that is 4x1. I don't use the pager.

Code:

|           |           |           |           |
|     1     |     2     |     3     |     4     |
|           |   xterm   | I'M HERE  |  firefox  |

Say I'm running firefox in workspace 4, an xterm in workspace 2 and I'm currently in workspace 3. The taskbar correctly shows lynx and firefox but clicking on either entry on the taskbar will not take me to that workspace or that application, I have to go there manually with the mouse wheel (or keyboard). TIA :D
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably have to write a function and bind it to the leftclick command of your taskbar, but I don't have an idea about how to do that, but I hope I gave you an idea about where to look...
For specifics you could try asking in the "official" fvwm thread, or in #fvwm on irc.freenode.net.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: