View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric_42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: I'm having trouble with fonts. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using KDE 3.2.2 and the latest xfree86 (3.4.9 or something, it seems to be gone from portage since last sync)

The fonts I'm having trouble with are the interface fonts in Mozilla Firefox. The web page looks great, almost as good as Mac OSX font rendering. The UI fonts of firefox looks squished, blurry, and tiny. Probably an 8 point font. (Which looks terrible when anti-aliased. I can't seem to turn off the anti-aliasing either, without turning it off system-wide.)

Why is this font so small and ugly? Why can't I change it? Is this a firefox specific problem with KDE/QT?

I can set the font and size in the options. It seems to either pick the default serif, or sans serif font. It doesn't respond to the size setting no matter what I set it to.

It's not the biggest of concerns, but it's annoying and if anyone has experienced and/or fixed the same problem I'm having I could sure use help :)
2sheds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=182505&highlight=firefox+fonts

I had a similar problem and this helped me sort it out
peterton
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check ~/.phoenix/default/.../chrome, it contains userChrome.css and other .css files. With these files you can change UI items in CSS syntax.
cbr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. No matter what i change, the font size stays the same. Only the line spacing changes. Only setting the Minimum Font Size works, but that kills the point of smaller fonts in forums, etc. And, yes, I have all the paths etc. set correctly. I have freetype installed and just recompiled xorg, so that cant be the case :cry:
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This i just a copy from the FVWM thread and as I remember it since yesterday then I wrote it Firefox only needs and reads the .gtkrc-2.0 file. And most inportant only use fontsizes that you actually have, othervise the font vill be real ugly.

To change menufonts for your gtk apps and have a consistent environment you make two files in your homedirectory - '.gtkrc' and '.gtkrc-2.0'.

.gtkrc could look something like this.
Code:
style "myfonts" {
       fontset = "-*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--17-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,*-"}
class "GtkWidget" style "myfonts"

.gtkrc-2.0 will be like this.
Code:
gtk-font-name = "helvetica bold 12"

The size will be similar becuase one is in pixels and the other one is in points. (I suppose.)

Hurray, I have become Tux's lil' helper!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: