Powersupply?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digital Storm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Powersupply? Reply with quote

I've been getting various lockups and random reboots in Windows...Seg faults while trying to install Gentoo again...I've ran memtest over three different nights (9+ hours) and all came back fine, I swapped the memory to another machine and it tested out fine. So now I'm looking at the PSU, keep in mind it's been rnning the machine rock solid for the last year or so (both windows and gentoo)...The only new hardware addition was a 120Gb drive...Would a faulty powersupply cause seg faults while trying to compile? I know in windows the machine just locks up, reboots, or blue screens with various errors...But I have no real exp with linux/hardware errors...These errors seem to have only crept up after adding the drive, I have since removed it and I'm still getting them...Any ideas?
tomthewombat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I had some problems with my power supply, but nothing like that. Basically it couldn't dissipate the heat fast enough from a full load and fried. It was just one of those default 300Watters in a cheap case. Since then I have upgraded to a bazillion watt dual-fan antec. Wow.. even my CPU and MB temp have dropped significantly.

Anyway, I would say that there is only one reason it could possibly be the power supply.. failure to deliver enough power. If you added a second HD this could well be the case. Does your computer crash under heavy CPU/Memory and Disk Usage? (a.k.a compiling, the loading of video games) Before spending too much money (mine was $65ish) :cry: I would watch some voltage monitors for eradic behavior.

NOTE: I have no technical expertise with inability to power your computer, but here is my best GUESS!

My guess would be your supply would be unable to provide enough current and the voltages should go higher during a heavy current load to compensate for the lack of current. V = I R (resistance is the samish so if I can't go up then V has to change to make equalibrium)

You can always grab the docs to all your computer's components and inspect their power consumption. Add up all the Watts and see if your power supply is enough.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Powersupply? Reply with quote

Digital Storm wrote:
.Would a faulty powersupply cause seg faults while trying to compile?

Yes, quite possible. I had a power supply problem a while back and I didn't realize it until it was too late and lost a motherboard in the process.

I dont have any technical expertise in this area but I have had these same kind of random lockups, segfaults freezes with a faulty power supply.

Can you take it some place to have it check out?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: