View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolferz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: xcursors in kde Reply with quote

ok to start with i went the extra mile and set kdm to start up in runlevel 4 and all that good stuff so im not typing startx from the console. heres my problem and bear with me cause despite computer ABILITY i am not overly familar (knowledgable) with linux yet. (ie i can folow instructions but i need instructions to follow)

this is running kde 3.2

now heres the problem. i use emerge to retreive blueglass-xcursors when i did this everything went without a hitch. then following the instuctions it dumped in my lap i made the file .Xdefaults and placed in it the solitary line:

Code:
Xcursor.theme: Blue

now im pretty sure you can just log out and choose to restart X from the kdm session menu BUT i descided to restart the whole machine just to be sure. everything starts up, at first it thought i messed up when the default cursor appeared and then i remember i only made the change for one user. so i log into this user and viola nice pretty blue glass looking 3d cursor thing-a-ma-dooi. WOOT oh wait... 8O why did the deafult cursor come back? BAH!

so i do a little digging and find that kde has its own cursor theme selector. i make my way there and (noting the theme isnt there already) attempt to install the theme from the tar.bz2 file stored im my portage tree. it sias its not a valid cursor theme archive.

(is there) any way i can get kde to default to whatever X has its cursor set to or is there a way i can get this cursor theme into kde? the defaults are borring me to tears :(
grant.mcdorman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE puts a cursor theme setting in ~/.icons/default/index.theme. Remove this file and the system default will apply.

I'm looking to see if there's a way to convince the KDE control center to recognize the themes in /usr/share/cursors. I'll post back if I find a way.
grant.mcdorman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's a workaround to get the KDE control center to 'see' your cursors:

The KDE control center looks in the following directories for cursor themes:
  • ~/.icons
  • /usr/share/icons
  • /usr/share/pixmaps
  • /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons
It appears that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons doesn't exist in both XFree86 and Xorg right now, so you can do this as root:
Code:
ln -s /usr/share/cursors/xfree /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons # or xorg-x11 if you're using that
cd /usr/share/cursors/xfree
for f in *;do if [ $f != default -a ! -f $f/index.theme ];then echo '[Icon Theme]' >$f/index.theme;fi;done
You'll then see all of your installed cursor themes in the KDE control center's Mouse applet (that's under Peripherals). The control center will even show a sample cursor (the arrow pointer) for each one.

Note that this doesn't set up a description for the themes. Also note that there are some things that the KDE control center thinks are mouse themes that really aren't.

EDIT: Original code to create 'index.theme' caused X applications to crash.
polle
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47057&highlight=blueglass
grant.mcdorman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polle wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47057&highlight=blueglass
Yes. Dosn't look like it covers my tip about making the KDE control center "see" the cursors, though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: