2.6 kernel on oldworld mac
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostdave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: 2.6 kernel on oldworld mac Reply with quote

I just finished a stage1 install on an original (kanga/3500) g3 powerbook (much thanks to enrique for his 3400 page - helped me a lot) - took about a week compiling, but I had nothing better to do.

I've been trying for a while, both while installing gentoo and previously under YDL to get a 2.6 kernel to boot on this machine, and there are a few posts spread around from people with other old world machines having the same problem - it posts the few lines of OF output, then the tux boot logo and no more text. It is actually booting, just not displaying the fonts - or possibly displaying them black.

I'm not really asking for a solution - really trying to work one out for myself - just asking if there is _anyone_ out there who has made a 2.6 kernel work on an oldworld mac
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6 kernel on oldworld mac Reply with quote

lostdave wrote:
I just finished a stage1 install on an original (kanga/3500) g3 powerbook (much thanks to enrique for his 3400 page - helped me a lot) - took about a week compiling, but I had nothing better to do.

I've been trying for a while, both while installing gentoo and previously under YDL to get a 2.6 kernel to boot on this machine, and there are a few posts spread around from people with other old world machines having the same problem - it posts the few lines of OF output, then the tux boot logo and no more text. It is actually booting, just not displaying the fonts - or possibly displaying them black.

I'm not really asking for a solution - really trying to work one out for myself - just asking if there is _anyone_ out there who has made a 2.6 kernel work on an oldworld mac

There is no problem with a 2.6x kernel on a G3. I can boot every 2.6x kernel under the sun - including 2004.0 and my own compiled kernels. I just cannot boot with the kernel supplied on the 2004.1 CD. It's messed up - at least for OldWorld Macs.
lostdave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Well there's that idea scuppered. Prehaps it's just this machine - the 2004.1, 2004.0 and self-compiled (when I was running YDL) kernels all did what 2004.1 does for everyone else - I had to boot from 1.4 to install, and built a 2.4 ppc-sources kernel. I'll emerge the 2.6 sources later and give it another go.

(and I'm guessing you mean a beige G3 powermac)
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a missing video driver to me. You can always try adding video=ofonly to your kernel args to check this (but don't leave them like that!)
lostdave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerged the sources and tried several configurations, and the 2004.0 kernel again, to exactly the same result. video=ofonly made no difference. Any suggestions, or do I stop whining and suffer a 2.4 until I get a new machine?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: