RealPlayer 10 beta out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
affan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: RealPlayer 10 beta out Reply with quote

Realplayer 10 promises to be a breakthrough media player for Linux. Today the beta version for Realplayer and Helix player have been released. I am excited to try them out but I was wondering if there could be an ebuild I could use? Is there a practise not to create ebuilds for beta software packages?

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/downloads/
Ben2040
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I get tonnes of errors -

Code:

bash-2.05b$ realplay

(realplay.bin:8493): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(realplay.bin:8493): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
Failed to load pixbuf file: /opt/RealPlayer10/share/realplay/icon.xpm: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(realplay.bin:8493): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(realplay.bin:8493): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Error reading modules file
** (realplay.bin:8493): WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
there was an error in the creation of:
  '/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

(realplay.bin:8493): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported

(realplay.bin:8493): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported

(realplay.bin:8493): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1337 (g_object_unref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

And the UI is all screwy with no text or anything...

Any ideas?

Ben
affan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably post this to the Forums at Helix website. They seem to be quite responsive.

It says something about locales. But I have not idea what that entails.
Ben2040
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

Thanks, I'll try out those forums.

Ben
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using several nightlys with no problem. Currently running realplay-0.4.0-196 with no problems. I took the hxplay ebuild and just modified it to do realplay insted of hxplay. I have to currently manually download the file to /usr/portage/distfiles though.
venkat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just love this helix& real combo. it looks awesome compared to the stupid rp8 or realone. been using this for a long time now. it already feels stable for me, i have a 2.6.6 headers based nptl system running 2.6.7_rc2-love2, real alphas ran fine too.
wangxiaohu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Realplayer 10 running on my Fedora Core 2 system smoothly, so I am really looking forward to see it stablized in Gentoo portage.
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the need for realplayer?

I never seem to find any real player files anyways, its always wmv, and mpg, can helix or rp10 play mpgs or wmv files?

and why would you install it if it cant?

xine and mplayer are so much better..

Im not trying to flame, this is a serious question.
danzvash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xine and mplayer *are* much better, but their support for real codecs is still a little rough and ready. For example, I can't really listen reliably to (and scan in) any of the Real media streams available at http://www.bbc.co.uk without Real Player. And version 10 is essentially Helix player which has a nice Gtk interface and is much stabler than any of the previous (8,9).

Meanwhile ... I need to rip a stream quickly and I can't get mplayer to find my Real 10 codecs......
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: