View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: KDE 3.2.3 wants to be 3.2.2! Reply with quote

I'm very new to Gentoo so be kind :wink:. I've just recently emerged the new KDE 3.2.3 and now whenever I try to emerge world portage tries to remerge KDE 3.2.2. This is rather annoying if I use the -u flag it would install 3 odd packages and the old KDE: if I use the -U flag it emerges NOTHING?, what I'm worrying about is what happened to the other 3 packages? Those other packages are marked U, so why do they not show up when I use the -U flag? Anyone who has KDE 3.2.3 could you tell me what you do to update your system? Well I'm off to try Xorg again :D, I just know Xfree is going to be re-emerged with an Xorg emerge.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-u means that it tries to upgrade the packages. But sometimes it occurs that actually it will be a downgrade. It menas that there should be a package which eas compile with older kde, or a package is installed that needs old version, not new. Use "qpkg -q kde-3.2.2" to find if there are any packages which needs older kde.

-U means that it tries to upgrade only. It will not downgade anything. That's why you will not see the 3 older kde package. Generally, better to use this switch.

Sipi
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do
Code:

mkdir /etc/portage
echo "kde-base/kde ~x86" > /etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "x11-base/xorg-x11 ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "x11-base/xfree" > /etc/portage/package.mask

to set the 'unstable' keyword for kde and xorg permanently and to mask xfree. After that, portage won't bug you anymore with kde downgrades and xfree installs.
mrv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Actually this problem started bugging me too after I upgraded from KDE 3.2.2 to 3.2.3 (yes, I'm using ~x86 in /etc/portage/package.keywords with KDE).

Yesterday (and also today) I synced my portage tree. When I made "emerge -Dupv world" I noticed that for some reason portage wants to downgrade kdelibs into 3.2.2-r1 and arts into 1.2.2:

Code:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7d-r1 [0.9.7d] -emacs  4,866 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-devel/libperl-5.8.4-r1 [5.8.4] +berkdb -debug +gdbm -threads -uclibc  0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.5336-r4   0 kB
[ebuild     UD] kde-base/arts-1.2.2 [1.2.3] -alsa -artswrappersuid -esd +mad +oggvorbis  0 kB
[ebuild     UD] kde-base/kdelibs-3.2.2-r1 [3.2.3] -alsa +cups -doc -ipv6 -ldap +ssl  0 kB

Does anybody know reason to this?

Here's the output from "qpk -q arts-1.2.2":

Code:

bash-2.05b# qpkg -q arts-1.2.2
kde-base/arts-1.2.2
DEPENDED ON BY:
        kde-base/kdeaddons-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdelibs-3.1.5-r1
        kde-base/kdelibs-3.2.3
        media-libs/libsdl-1.2.7
        media-libs/xine-lib-1_rc4
        media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre4-r4

And here's the output from "qpk -q kdelibs-3.2.2-r1":

Code:

bash-2.05b# qpkg -q kdelibs-3.2.2-r1
kde-base/kdelibs-3.2.2-r1
DEPENDED ON BY:
        kde-base/kde-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdeaccessibility-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdeaddons-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdeadmin-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdeartwork-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdebase-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdeedu-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdegames-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdegraphics-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdenetwork-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdepim-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdesdk-3.2.2
        kde-base/kdetoys-3.2.3
        kde-base/kdeutils-3.2.3
        media-gfx/digikam-0.5.1
        net-ftp/kbear-2.1.1

Any help would be appreciated.

-mrv-
dyqik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE-3.2.3 is ~x86? If so, you can prevent emerge -u world from downgrading it by creating /etc/portage/package.keywords and adding "kde-base/kde ~x86" to it. Do this for any ~x86 packages you want to install.

DO NOT USE emerge -U world. There are several threads about why this is unsafe. Use the package.keywords method instead, or a portage overlay, if the ebuild are ~x86 masked
Offler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thank you all for your replies!.

Sipi: I wasn't very clear in describing the prob so I think I confused you - what I meant was those 3 packages were NOT kde packages but things like openssl and sys utils like grep (I dont remember exactly what they were) and included in those updates when I used the -u flag was kde 3.2.2. So I tried using the -U flag because the KDE pack were marked UD and the other packages were marked U: but it didn't work kde 3.2.2 was not pulled in but neither were the other updates that were before!.

Voltago: Yep I found that code on the Xorg thread and I took your kde stuff aswell so now kde does not want to return to 3.2.2; as for my Xfree prob, it seems to have worked the second time, I unmerged Xfree and then attempted to merge xorg and Xfree was not listed as a depen!!. I'm now happily using Xorg and Xfree does not need to be masked!. So thanks for the kde ~x86 code.

dyqik: I remember reading somewhere else that I should not use -U, so I'll stay away from it then.

This is just a general Q: now that I have kde and xorg as ~x86 they will both update themselfes when i run emerge -u world according to what is available in ~x86 right? So basically I should remove them both from the package.keywords file once they are in portage right? Does anyone know when they are likely to be marked x86? - they both seem very stable to me. Hopefully over the next few days I'll get my updates back working as normal again :|.
mrv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction to my own earlier post; I was using kdesdk-3.2.2 instead of kdesdk-3.2.3. That's why it wanted to downgrade kdelibs and arts...

-mrv-
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: