Framebuffer Console shifted to the right
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=LeXuS=-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Framebuffer Console shifted to the right Reply with quote

Hi, i use highres framebuffer console at 1400x1050 (geforce4go, mode 0x348).
I do not use any themes or bootsplashes... The problem is that the console is shifted about 4 characters to the right side. It wraps at the right side back to the left side. I think the problem is the memory start address or something similiar... Does anybody has had the same problem? Lower res fb modes works perfectly...

Bye Lex
mitchm_01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Framebuffer Shift Reply with quote

Hi, I am currently having the exact same issue as you have posted with my 1400x1050 Framebuffer shifting characters slightly to the right. I was wondering if you have found a solution to this yet.

Thanks!
Mitch
-=LeXuS=-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mitch,

sorry, i've not found a solution. I even tried to make direct vesa calls using my own program to modify this behavior.

What computer/graphic card/graphic bios you have.

Maybe a Dell with Geforce 440 Go? :lol:

But now i know i'm not the only one... :twisted:

Bye Dan
mitchm_01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Framebuffer shift Reply with quote

Hey there,

I am using a Dell Inspirion 8200. With the Nvidia like you said. I really wish I could figure this out, because then suspend/resume would work perfectly. I have figured out that if the screen is turned off, when it comes back on, it is stretched, because it is picking up the Resolution from the shell, and not from X.

Mitch
-=LeXuS=-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, welcome in the club!

I have the same model... so, the problem i think is the Chipset or more likely the video bios.

But i dont know if your problem is the same as mine. But another short question. acpi system 2 ram works on your system? It works for me with one exception, the backlight isn't turned on.

What X driver you are using, any special settings or acpi scripts?
mitchm_01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: My System Reply with quote

Hi again,
I am using the newest Nvidia driver on my system, and I do not use ACPI, I use APM. I just prefer to let the BIOS handle all the power management. I never got ACPI to work very well. Only problem I have with APM, is that it doens't power all the way down, just sits at Power off, but I dont mind hitting the button to shut it on down.
I.C.Wiener
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the same problem with my desktop: PNY Geforce 4 TI4400, Hyundai L70A TFT (connected via DVI-cable) , resolution 1280x1024

I haven't found a good solution yet, just some workarounds:
- use an ordanary analog-cable instead of DVI (might be difficult for notebook users *g*)
- use rivafb instead of vesafb (however when switching to another console the screen gets scrambled sometimes - I considered this to be worse than before)
- use a decent bootsplash-image to compensate (sounds creepy but works for me)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: